Transfers between Chequing and Asset accounts on wrong side of ledger

Options
ssmill
ssmill Member
I use an Asset account to track expenses between my live-in girlfriend and I, which I'll call Account Receivable. When I pay for something, I split the transaction listed in my bank accounts, with half going to Account Receivable. When she pays me back every month or so, I record this on the other side of the ledger of Account Receivable. But now I've run into a problem.

When I split an expense from one chequing account, so that half is transferred to Account Receivable, it shows up under the Increase column of Account Receivable. When I split an expense from a different chequing account, it shows up under the Decrease column of Account Receivable. These should be transferring to a consistent side of the ledger (Increase, I would think), and it's made Quicken useless at tracking expenses between the two of us.

In both chequing accounts, the transaction is listed under the Payment column. Both chequing accounts are set up in Quicken as Spending accounts, and the Account Receivable is set up as an Asset account. If relevant, I have Quicken Deluxe Canada R25.24. These accounts are all USD.

Is this a bug, or is there some feature that I can change to address this?

Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @ssmill,

You seem to be making a different entry in the "second" chequing account than you are in the first account.  If you were making the same entry in that account - it would show up the exact same way as it does in the first instance.

Please take a closer look at what you are doing - this is not a Quicken bug of anything that Quicken is doing - this is about the entries you are making.  They are in some way different from scenerio #1 to scenerio #2.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Origination:
    Debt (increase) Some Expense Category        $AAA
    Debit (increase Accounts Receivable Account $BBB
    Credit (decrease) Checking Account                $CCC
    That should work in all situations, with any checking Account, period.
    The only thing I can think of that would make the receivable Account decrease here is if $BBB is a negative number, making $CCC zero.
    Maybe post a picture?

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @ssmill,

You seem to be making a different entry in the "second" chequing account than you are in the first account.  If you were making the same entry in that account - it would show up the exact same way as it does in the first instance.

Please take a closer look at what you are doing - this is not a Quicken bug of anything that Quicken is doing - this is about the entries you are making.  They are in some way different from scenerio #1 to scenerio #2.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ssmill
    ssmill Member
    Options
    Ugh, solved it. It was a weird issue where the carryover from a previous transaction messed up the split, and I'd been carrying it forward every month.
This discussion has been closed.