Security Reports a Name Mis-Match

I have a security that reports a name mis-match every time there is activity. The name of the Security and the mis-matched security are identical (shares Match, etc) except the mis-matched security has "- Common Stock" after its name. I've searched for this name and it doesn't pop up in any transactions. The Brokerage House shows the security name with only "COM" after the name, as do all other securities. So only one security is showing this mis-match. Any ideas on how to correct are greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year to all.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you confirm the security type is set appropriately and uncheck Matched to online security on the security: press Ctrl + Y, rght-click on the security, and select Edit.   The next time Quicken compares the holdings, you should be prompted to match the security again.  
  • allgoodnamestaken
    allgoodnamestaken Member ✭✭✭
    I tried that solution before posting. The "Matched to online Security" is unchecked, but it's also grayed out. I can neither check or uncheck it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried that solution before posting. The "Matched to online Security" is unchecked, but it's also grayed out. I can neither check or uncheck it.
    Good.  That should mean the security is available to be matched.

What is the security type set to.  I think you will want it to be set to Stock.
  • allgoodnamestaken
    It is set to "Stock" also as a "Single Asset" and "Download Asset Class Information" is ticked. It still comes up as a mis-match whenever there is data downloaded to the security.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is set to "Stock" also as a "Single Asset" and "Download Asset Class Information" is ticked. It still comes up as a mis-match whenever there is data downloaded to the security.
    Then, I think it's time to examine the OFX Log: select Help > Log Files and OFX Log

You're looking for the references to the security to see what is amiss - why Quicken isn't offering to match the security.  I suspect the CUSIP used for the security in the log may already be assigned to a security in Quicken.  If that is the case, uncheck Matched to online security for the security and the next time Quicken compares the holdings, you should be prompted to match the security again.
  • allgoodnamestaken
    Hi Sherlock, Thank you for your help with this question. I pulled up the OFX Log file as you suggested. I found it difficult to read so I copied it to an Excel spreadsheet so I could use the search option. When I put in the security name, Excel identifies a reference line but that data does not have the Security Name anywhere in the contents. In fact no Security shows up identified with its name. I see references to the Brokerage where the security is held but no Security names. Is there a different way to identify the Security?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sherlock, Thank you for your help with this question. I pulled up the OFX Log file as you suggested. I found it difficult to read so I copied it to an Excel spreadsheet so I could use the search option. When I put in the security name, Excel identifies a reference line but that data does not have the Security Name anywhere in the contents. In fact no Security shows up identified with its name. I see references to the Brokerage where the security is held but no Security names. Is there a different way to identify the Security?

Instead of a spreadsheet, I suggest you use a text file editor (for example, Notepad).

The OFX log will include all the accounts you have recently downloaded.  The first thing you should do is locate the most recent download from the financial institution (search backward from the bottom for <BROKERID>), then locate the account (search forward for <ACCTID>.  

You'll notice each investment transaction (<INVTRN>) in the investment transaction list (<INVTRNLIST> to </INVTRNLIST>) includes a SECID with a CUSIP (<UNIQUEIDTYPE>) value (<UNIQUEID>) .  The CUSIP value is used to identify the security in Quicken.  You should also notice that each position (<INVPOS> to </INVPOS>) in the investment position list (<INVPOSLIST> to </INVPOSLIST>) includes a SECID with a CUSIP value.

What you're actually looking for the CUSIP value for the problematic security (<SECINFO> to </SECINFO>) in security list (<SECLIST> to </SECLIST>) for the account.  Once you determine the appropriate CUSIP value, scan the CUSIP ID column of the Security List window (press Ctrl + Y) in Quicken for the value.  Be certain to check Show hidden securities.
  • allgoodnamestaken
    I noticed in the Security List there is no CUSIP ID number assigned to this Security. This is a regularly traded stock on the NASDAQ. Could this be causing my issue? Why is there no CUSPID ID? I noticed I have a number of Securities with no CUSPID ID.
  • allgoodnamestaken
    I should mention that when I run account updates I do get correct price and shares for this security.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have no CUSIP because the security is not "Matched with online security".  You noted earlier that box is greyed out.  It is only checked off by the matching problem which is the heart of your issue. 

You are likely getting price updates because you are getting quotes downloaded (from Quicken's sources) based on the Ticker.  Are you getting transactions downloaded for this security (which would only come from your brokerage)? 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed in the Security List there is no CUSIP ID number assigned to this Security. This is a regularly traded stock on the NASDAQ. Could this be causing my issue? Why is there no CUSPID ID? I noticed I have a number of Securities with no CUSPID ID.
    Again... Get the CUSIP for the online security from the OFX Log and then look for the CUSIP in the Security List.  I suspect the CUSIP is assigned to a different security in Quicken.  If so, uncheck the Matched with online security for this mis-matched security in Quicken and, the next time Quicken compares the holdings, you should be prompted to match the online security again and you'll be able to choose the correct security in Quicken.