Student Loans

When creating my budget and adding a Student Loan category for each of my student loans, should I list is as a tax line item? If so, how would I go about ensuring the program properly tracks just the interest and not the principal (as the interest is the only thing that can be a tax deduction)?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    You should be using a split transaction when entering loan payments that include and entries for interest and principal.  The category you used for interest should be associated with the Form 1040: Student loan interest tax line-item.

In the budget, I suggest including the loan payment: select Manage Budget Categories and Detailed Loan Payments.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    You should be using a split transaction when entering loan payments that include and entries for interest and principal.  The category you used for interest should be associated with the Form 1040: Student loan interest tax line-item.

In the budget, I suggest including the loan payment: select Manage Budget Categories and Detailed Loan Payments.
This discussion has been closed.