No option to add a tax account

Options
Running Quicken HBRP, latest update and have a business that until recently, sold strictly through a third party outlet. Have recently had direct sales that I collected sales tax for and in trying to run a report, discovered there isn't an account or register for the sales taxes. Followed the Help instructions that basically said to use a blank Invoice Form and select *New* from the Tax Account drop down at the bottom of the form. Problem is, the drop down doesn't offer that or any other option and I cannot see anywhere else in the system to add a Tax Account.

Best Answer

• DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Checked the Hidden accounts and it was indeed there. Strange that it still didn't show the New option. Thanks !!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you using the US or the Canadian version of Quicken?
    For the US version, Quicken Help says:
    Amount you owe to local tax district for products you sell

Quicken adds a sales tax account for you the first time you enter an invoice item for which you charge sales tax. If you do business in more than one tax district, you can add a sales tax account manually.

The default name for this account is "*Sales Tax*"
    If it already exists, it may have been marked hidden. Go into Tools / Manage Hidden Accounts and un-hide it.
    Have you customized your Invoice Forms to remove the Sales Tax item from the printable invoice form? Put it back in and see if that helps.
    Define an invoice line item and mark it as taxable. Use it in a new customer invoice and see if that wakes up the Tax Account dialog in the invoice data entry form.
    Here's what my New Customer Invoice data entry form looks like, with the Tax Account dialog expanded, to show available options.

If there's no account name listed, <New> should create one for you.
    Do select <Edit> to set the default tax rate.

If you're using the Canadian version, please read this discussion:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7715804/canada-sales-tax-not-working-on-invoices

• DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Checked the Hidden accounts and it was indeed there. Strange that it still didn't show the New option. Thanks !!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Again ... which version of Quicken are you using? US or Canadian? What year and release of Quicken (click Help / About Quicken to get this information)
    When you click the selection triangle to the right of Tax Account in a New Customer Invoice form, does it show the already existing *Sales Tax* account? If so, can you select it?
    Can you capture a "Shift-PrintScreen" image of your screen, paste it into MS Paint, crop it to only show the invoice dialog, save the image to a PNG file and then attach or drag the file into your response/comment. I'd like to see what you're seeing.
This discussion has been closed.