Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Where is the TOOLS menu button? (A Q Mac question)

jnjpanek
jnjpanek Member ✭✭
I'm a 25+ yr user of Quicken. Running Quicken Starter v 6.0.3 on MacBookPro Big Sur. I can't locate the TOOLS menu button anywhere (I feel very foolish). The top Mac menu bar has <Apple Logo> Quicken File Edit View Transactions Account Reports Budgets Bill Pay Window and Help. Tools aren't under any of those. The top of the Quicken Window has Home Reports Budgets Bills & Income Calendar Alerts. Tools aren't under any of those. I've explored all the little widgets, buttons, icons, etc I can find and no TOOLS menu. I'm sure it's right in front of me - but where??

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately, there's no way in QMac to directly print the category list. This has been discussed before and there's probably an Idea topic on it which you could find with a forum search.

One workaround is to screenshot what you can fit on one screen, then scroll down and screenshot the next batch, etc. 

I've got one more workaround, but it would only show categories that are used at least once in your datafile. Here goes:

1. Go to Reports, and create a Transaction by Category Report.

2. Click Edit and select All Dates, Accounts, Categories, Tags and Payees.

3. In the resulting report, click View > Collapse All. 

4. Click the triangle next to Income and Expense to un-collapse just that level. 

5. Ignore the Amount column and you now have a list of used categories.

6. If you want a separate list of unused categories, open the Categories window, click the gear at the bottom, and select Show Only Unused Categories.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Any reference to the Tools menu that you see is for QWin, not QMac.

What function are you trying to find so we can let you know where to find it in QMac (if it exists)?

• jnjpanek
    jnjpanek Member ✭✭
    I want to print the full list of Categories - so I can identify which ones I want to merge. At one point I got the list to display, but couldn't print it - and it's too big to fit in a screen shot.
  • RickO
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately, there's no way in QMac to directly print the category list. This has been discussed before and there's probably an Idea topic on it which you could find with a forum search.

One workaround is to screenshot what you can fit on one screen, then scroll down and screenshot the next batch, etc. 

I've got one more workaround, but it would only show categories that are used at least once in your datafile. Here goes:

1. Go to Reports, and create a Transaction by Category Report.

2. Click Edit and select All Dates, Accounts, Categories, Tags and Payees.

3. In the resulting report, click View > Collapse All. 

4. Click the triangle next to Income and Expense to un-collapse just that level. 

5. Ignore the Amount column and you now have a list of used categories.

6. If you want a separate list of unused categories, open the Categories window, click the gear at the bottom, and select Show Only Unused Categories.