Where is the TOOLS menu button? (A Q Mac question)

Options
jnjpanek
jnjpanek Member ✭✭
I'm a 25+ yr user of Quicken. Running Quicken Starter v 6.0.3 on MacBookPro Big Sur. I can't locate the TOOLS menu button anywhere (I feel very foolish). The top Mac menu bar has <Apple Logo> Quicken File Edit View Transactions Account Reports Budgets Bill Pay Window and Help. Tools aren't under any of those. The top of the Quicken Window has Home Reports Budgets Bills & Income Calendar Alerts. Tools aren't under any of those. I've explored all the little widgets, buttons, icons, etc I can find and no TOOLS menu. I'm sure it's right in front of me - but where??

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no way in QMac to directly print the category list. This has been discussed before and there's probably an Idea topic on it which you could find with a forum search.

One workaround is to screenshot what you can fit on one screen, then scroll down and screenshot the next batch, etc. 

I've got one more workaround, but it would only show categories that are used at least once in your datafile. Here goes:

1. Go to Reports, and create a Transaction by Category Report.

2. Click Edit and select All Dates, Accounts, Categories, Tags and Payees.

3. In the resulting report, click View > Collapse All. 

4. Click the triangle next to Income and Expense to un-collapse just that level. 

5. Ignore the Amount column and you now have a list of used categories.

6. If you want a separate list of unused categories, open the Categories window, click the gear at the bottom, and select Show Only Unused Categories.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    Options
    Any reference to the Tools menu that you see is for QWin, not QMac.

What function are you trying to find so we can let you know where to find it in QMac (if it exists)?

• jnjpanek
    jnjpanek Member ✭✭
    Options
    I want to print the full list of Categories - so I can identify which ones I want to merge. At one point I got the list to display, but couldn't print it - and it's too big to fit in a screen shot.
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no way in QMac to directly print the category list. This has been discussed before and there's probably an Idea topic on it which you could find with a forum search.

One workaround is to screenshot what you can fit on one screen, then scroll down and screenshot the next batch, etc. 

I've got one more workaround, but it would only show categories that are used at least once in your datafile. Here goes:

1. Go to Reports, and create a Transaction by Category Report.

2. Click Edit and select All Dates, Accounts, Categories, Tags and Payees.

3. In the resulting report, click View > Collapse All. 

4. Click the triangle next to Income and Expense to un-collapse just that level. 

5. Ignore the Amount column and you now have a list of used categories.

6. If you want a separate list of unused categories, open the Categories window, click the gear at the bottom, and select Show Only Unused Categories.
  • Bob Ball
    Bob Ball Member ✭✭
    Options
    I may be overlooking something, but the answers don't appear to respond to jnjpanek's original question: Where is the Tools menu? How do I access it? I never heard of it until an emailed Quicken Update which arrived July 7 told me what I can do with a Memorized Payee list, accessed from the Tools Menu. I can't find it either. I read this: "You can find the Memorized Payee List on your Tools menu. You can also use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + T." That makes me wonder if it was written for Windows users. I tried ctrl-T and command-T. Neither worked.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Bob Ball said:
    I may be overlooking something, but the answers don't appear to respond to jnjpanek's original question: Where is the Tools menu? How do I access it?
    Yes, the answer to this was included above:
    RickO said:
    Any reference to the Tools menu that you see is for QWin, not QMac.
    To reiterate: There is no Tools menu in Quicken Mac.

I'm not sure what email you received, but the part you quoted was clearly about Quicken Windows. (Windows uses keyboard commands with CTRL, whereas Mac keyboard commands are generally with Command, Option and/or Shift.)

In Quicken Mac, every Payee you have ever paid is a "Memorized Payee." To see your Payee list, it's under Window > Payees & Rules, or Command-Shift-E. Here, you can merge Payees if you want, but you don't want to delete them because that would mess up your old transactions. However, if you click the "–" button, Quicken will Hide the Payee from your pop-up lists of Payees. (If you don't see the Hidden column in your Payees list, Control-click on any of the headings, and you'll see the additional column(s) you can add to the window.)

The other two tabs in this window are for Renaming Rules and QuickFill Rules. Renaming Rules allow you to convert cryptic or inconsistent Payee names downloaded from your bank or credit card companies into a single, consistent name. For instance, "Home Depot Store 1234 Anytown" and "Home Depot Store 98765 Everytown" could both be transformed to "Home Depot" with a simple Renaming Rule. QuickFill Rules allow you to store the Category and/or other fields of a transaction to be used the next time you use the Payee. You can manually create and edit QuickFill rules via this window, but you generally create QuickFill Rules while crediting transactions, or with the global Preference setting to create QuickFill Rules.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Bob Ball
    Bob Ball Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks; I overlooked that. The info was in the Quicken Update for July. I clicked near the image attached:
This discussion has been closed.