Managing Budget Catagories & Removing Actual Spending for future months

I'm trying to set up a new 2021 budget. I have been fine doing so the last two years but have had so many problem this year that I have gone to the extent of deleting all previous year information. I setup the categories to be budgeted and the the program adds an additional "Everything Else" line in each section which I don't want. Can these lines be removed some how???? Also the program is populating actual dollar spent on some line items for future months into 2021. What is going on???

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    As to: Apparent future transactions show in budget view
    This is controlled by the "Include reminders" option in your budget view, Budget Actions button. When the option is enabled, the amounts show in future budget months as if they were real transactions already.

As to: Other, Everything else
    The budget calculation programs use this "Other" subcategory, also named "Everything else" to show meaningful (mathematically correct) rollup totals from subcategory to parent category.
    In the case of transactions having been recorded to a parent category (e.g., Auto) when subcategories exist, (e.g. Auto:Gasoline, Auto:Service, etc.) and should have been used instead, all transactions recorded to Auto will show up as Auto:Other or Auto:Everything else.
    As stated in another comment, if you want to see the parent category subtotals together with all subcategories, you need to include the parent category Auto together with all existing subcategories Auto:... and Auto:Other
    Note that this does not apply to an Everything Else line showing at the bottom of the Income and/or Expense sections in the budget view. If you have transactions recorded to categories not included in your budget, the amounts will show there.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    ken1619 said:
    UKR'
    Thanks, the "include reminders" in view options was definitely part of the problem. As to the "Everything Else" i will just have to decide which way I want to view the budget. Seems new from last year.

The budget view process hasn't changed ever since they revamped it a few years ago, 2016 or '17 or so.
    I'm using a mix of category selections in my budget. For some I don't want to see the parent category subtotals, so I only select the specific subcategory. For others I want to see the complete picture, subcategories plus Other plus parent, to get the subtotals.
    Experiment with the settings until you get the right mix.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Everything Else line is generated when you include any "other" in your budget. If you deselect it, the line item EE will go away. There of course will always be the total EE for Income and Expense.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    "Everything Else" is set to keep record of an uncategorised transaction in case you forget to choose one. If the value is "0", it won't appear in your reports.

Also, you can set every futur month to "0" or an amount of your choice for each categories by clicking on "budget amount option" (the small wheel on each row) and choose the option you want. I hope it helps.
  • ken1619
    ken1619 Member ✭✭
    GeoffG,
    Sorry that's not it. I have not select the "other" in each section. They are deselected but still keep adding the line.
  • ken1619
    ken1619 Member ✭✭
    Valderi,
    I have them budgeted at $0 but they still shows up when working with the budget online. You are right they don't show up in reports but they still show up in the working annual views online. This has not been the like this in the past.
    Thanks!
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ken,
    If the category is a parent category with subcategories you need to go to the planning tab > Budgets and click Manage Budget Categories.  Deselect every parent category BUT leave the subcategories selected.  If a subcategory has a parent category then that parent category should not be selected but the subcategories should.

I have attached a screen shot of this.  You will also see that I do not select any of the "other" categories" either.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been awhile since I've used the Quicken budgeting process, but if you have future-dated transactions posted in your Accounts, those should show up in future Actual columns.  Is that what you're seeing?
  • ken1619
    ken1619 Member ✭✭
    Snowman,
    I have noticed that it didn't show up if the parent category was not selected. However, then the subcategories don't roll up with totals to the parent. So I guess I will have to decide which way to go. Still trying to figure out why the actual dollars are showing up in future month of 2021.
    Thanks!
  • ken1619
    ken1619 Member ✭✭
    Tom Y.'
    I know what you're saying but that doesn't seem to be it. It is very strange as it is only doing it with some not all of the categories on both the income and expense sides. It seems to be pulling information somehow from previous years which is why i deleted all that previous budgeting information.
    Thanks!
    Ken
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    As to: Apparent future transactions show in budget view
    This is controlled by the "Include reminders" option in your budget view, Budget Actions button. When the option is enabled, the amounts show in future budget months as if they were real transactions already.

As to: Other, Everything else
    The budget calculation programs use this "Other" subcategory, also named "Everything else" to show meaningful (mathematically correct) rollup totals from subcategory to parent category.
    In the case of transactions having been recorded to a parent category (e.g., Auto) when subcategories exist, (e.g. Auto:Gasoline, Auto:Service, etc.) and should have been used instead, all transactions recorded to Auto will show up as Auto:Other or Auto:Everything else.
    As stated in another comment, if you want to see the parent category subtotals together with all subcategories, you need to include the parent category Auto together with all existing subcategories Auto:... and Auto:Other
    Note that this does not apply to an Everything Else line showing at the bottom of the Income and/or Expense sections in the budget view. If you have transactions recorded to categories not included in your budget, the amounts will show there.
  • ken1619
    ken1619 Member ✭✭
    UKR'
    Thanks, the "include reminders" in view options was definitely part of the problem. As to the "Everything Else" i will just have to decide which way I want to view the budget. Seems new from last year.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    ken1619 said:
    UKR'

The budget view process hasn't changed ever since they revamped it a few years ago, 2016 or '17 or so.
    I'm using a mix of category selections in my budget. For some I don't want to see the parent category subtotals, so I only select the specific subcategory. For others I want to see the complete picture, subcategories plus Other plus parent, to get the subtotals.
    Experiment with the settings until you get the right mix.

• ken1619
    ken1619 Member ✭✭
    Thanks all !!
This discussion has been closed.