Balance showing as negative

Options
bizybeejm
bizybeejm Member ✭✭
My balance in my account is showing as negative and the deposit are taken away from the balance instead of added.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the register sorted in date order?  And not filtered?  Try clicking the DATE column heading to sort by  date and maybe reset the filters at the top.

If the balance is going down maybe it is a negative balance that is Decreasing.  Maybe you have a credit balance instead of a positive balance.  Like if you are overdrawn.  Is the balance in Red or Black?  Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You might find it helpful to change the columns in your register (at least temporarily): click the Columns icon on the toolbar below the register, uncheck Amount, check Deposit, and check Payment. Now instead of an Amount column with positive and negative values, you have two columns for money in (Deposit) and money out (Payment). If any of your deposits are showing up in the Payment column, they were indeed entered incorrectly, and the dollar amount needs to be changed to the Deposit column.

(If they were wrong, the next question is whether you entered them manually or downloaded them from your bank.)

I actually prefer to have the two columns visible, because I find it easier to enter transactions and spot something that might be wrong than looking for positive or negative values int he single Amount column. Many other users file the exact opposite, so that's why Quicken give us the choice!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.