Does Dropbox Synch Backup Interfere with Manual Backup

Frank2
Frank2 Member ✭✭
Recently added automatic Dropbox (cloud) backup to my entire system, including Quicken. Previously operating fine and routinely saved to Dropbox. In addition, performed a routine manual backup of financial file and saved to another Dropbox location. Added 'automatic' synching of all computer files to Dropbox recently. Now, unable to perform manual backup unless I exit the file and restart Quicken and relocate the file. Is something occurring with the automatic sync to the cloud and does this have any negative impact on my file backup?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Dropbox monitors the folders you have selected for files that have changed.  When Quicken does a backup, it closes the file and Dropbox is jumping in and grabbing the file and preventing Quicken from doing the manual backup.
    If you are going to keep the Quicken file in a Dropbox monitored location, then you need to turn off Dropbox syncing while running Quicken so that it does not interject itself into Quicken's procedural process.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Dropbox monitors the folders you have selected for files that have changed.  When Quicken does a backup, it closes the file and Dropbox is jumping in and grabbing the file and preventing Quicken from doing the manual backup.
    If you are going to keep the Quicken file in a Dropbox monitored location, then you need to turn off Dropbox syncing while running Quicken so that it does not interject itself into Quicken's procedural process.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Frank2
    Frank2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I figured as much. I believe, Dropbox is now "jumping in" in almost real time...synching the file as I make entries and changes or very shortly thereafter. The process 'grabbing the file' definitely is preventing me from performing a manual backup.
This discussion has been closed.