Memo/Notes Double Printing

I have previously paid two separate invoices on one check using the Memo/Note field to separate the charges. The Category report for the transactions have always printed the Memo/Notes field correctly. I now have to pay the invoices by separate checks. When I print a report for the Category assigned to the invoices, the information in the Memo/Notes filed appears twice in succession separated by a colon. If I print a Category report for the year containing all the transactions, the split transactions print correctly but the single transactions have the double print.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Flyman I suspect your problem is that you unknowingly have information in two fields. As you know there's what's labeled ad Memo/Notes on the main transaction, and there's also a Notes field on each split line. those fields are separate, but Quicken does its best to combine them on reports, showing first the main Memo, a colon, and the Note.

Here's an example of a transaction and a report illustrating the two notes fields:

So why is there text in the split Notes field, when there's not even a split? This often happens if you have a split transaction and then duplicate it/reuse it via QuickFill, and delete the second split line. Your brain says, "I deleted the split", but Quicken says, "you deleted the second split line, but I'm retaining any info in the first line." So you ent up with a transaction which doesn't appear to be split, yet has a Note in the split Note field.

To avoid this, at the bottom of the splits screen, there's a button to "Clear all splits", which will, indeed, clear out the extra Note. But if you try to get rid of the split by deleting a split line, you haven't gotten rid of all the pieces of the split.

Look at one of your transactions "printing double" and I'll bet that's what you find. Fortunately, it's an easy issue to resolve: remove the Note on the split, or click Clear all splits.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Flyman
    Flyman Member
    Thank you so much for your response.

I went into the two transactions in question, opened the Details tab, clicked on the Splits tab and then on the Clear all splits tab. I then rana report and the duplication was still there.

Here are three screen shots of the results.

Thanks,

Flyman
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2021
    Yes, so your screen shot shows exactly what I was talking about. You've got the same text entered in two places:

I didn't realize, but Clear All Splits apparently doesn't clear the Note in the first split line; it just deletes all the other split lines. So you need to select that text in the Note field of the split line and delete it, then Save the transaction. Now run you report, and the text won't be duplicated. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Flyman
    Flyman Member
    I followed your instructions and all is well.

Thank you very much for your help.
This discussion has been closed.