Quicken Switch to Verification using captchas is a terrible idea

Options
I have several Bank of America accounts that use a single password and are all grouped for a single download as "Bank of America - All Other State Access Accounts." In the past, whenever I try to download my transactions, I receive several requests to select the phone number or email to receive OPTs to verify my identity. This was already very annoying since all of the accounts use one single username and password.

Recently, Quicken switched to verification using letters (captcha) that it displays for me to type in. This is a terrible idea because: (1) the captchas are confusing (os look like zeros, letters are not very clear), (2) no choice to update the captcha if the one I am looking at is difficult to cipher, and (3) one has to retype the letters instead of just selecting a phone number.

As a result, it is easy to make one or more mistakes retyping the captchas. This causes the bank to block access to the account (which Quicken does not report). This week, I had to change my password three times because of Quicken's unwise approach.

Does anyone have a suggestion to avoid entering these captchas?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I just wanted to say that it isn't Quicken Inc or even Intuit (Quicken pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service) that decides what method to use for multiple authentication, it is the financial institution.

About the only thing I can things of not to have if Bank of America has switched to this is to either stop Bank of America or Quicken.  I know that Bank of America use to support Direct Connect and it uses a different security model and you wouldn't have to do this.  But from what I understand they dropped it except for people that were "grandfathered in".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I just wanted to say that it isn't Quicken Inc or even Intuit (Quicken pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service) that decides what method to use for multiple authentication, it is the financial institution.

About the only thing I can things of not to have if Bank of America has switched to this is to either stop Bank of America or Quicken.  I know that Bank of America use to support Direct Connect and it uses a different security model and you wouldn't have to do this.  But from what I understand they dropped it except for people that were "grandfathered in".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the comment. You might be right. I will check with BofA.
This discussion has been closed.