Export or backup to new PC.

Options
I am currently using version 2019 build 27.1.18.15. I need to move my Quicken accounts to another PC as my admin won't allow updates to Quicken. I downloaded Quicken 2020 on the new machine. I have tried backup/restore, and when I try to restore on the new PC it tells me to load 2004 and then doesn't work. I also tried 2013 with same result. I tried to export/import, but when I import on the new PC it says the file is incomplete. How do I move my accounts/files to this new PC? Running Windows 10 on both platforms.

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A newly downloaded installation from quicken.com should have no issues opening a current version data file, even if a several upgrades behind. I would suggest copying the current data file over to the new installation and use File>Open and navigate to the file. The file should be saved in the ...\Documents\Quicken folder.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Well.... first, I would run the Quicken Validate on the existing computer.
    ... --> File --> File Operations --> Validate and Repair --> [x] Validate File
    Next, you should have some backups avail - not sure why they appear as "corrupted"
    After the Validate.... do a Backup
    ... File --> Backup & Restore --> Backup --> xxx
    You should copy this file to a flash drive or whatever,
    and copy it onto the new computer.
    Then you use it to create a new Restored Quicken file.
    .... File ---> Backup & Restore ---> Restore --> xxx
    OR - as @GeoffG mentioned above - just copy the QDF file over - and open it

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• tomrichey
    tomrichey Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you both, very much. I tried everything I could think of for 4 hours. I'll take your recommendations and report back on my progress. Thanks.
  • tomrichey
    tomrichey Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi GeoffG and ps56k,

I validated the file on the original PC. I copied the .QDF file as suggested to a thumb drive. I went to the other PC and opened Quicken 2020. Under File, I selected Open File. I selected the file on the thumb drive, and the app had me do a restore. It came up with the same error. I attached a copy of the error. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tomrichey said:
    I am currently using version 2019 build 27.1.18.15. I need to move my Quicken accounts to another PC as my admin won't allow updates to Quicken. I downloaded Quicken 2020 on the new machine. I have tried backup/restore, and when I try to restore on the new PC it tells me to load 2004 and then doesn't work. I also tried 2013 with same result. I tried to export/import, but when I import on the new PC it says the file is incomplete. How do I move my accounts/files to this new PC? Running Windows 10 on both platforms.
    Hi @"tomrichey

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

If your Windows User ID, won't allow you to update Quicken, then I submit your Windows User ID is corrupt.
    Create a New Windows User ID that is local and is Administrator of the computer.

You want to move the Quicken program to a New Computer, then you need to do a Manual Backup.

Then restore the Manual Backup to the new installation.

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• tomrichey
    tomrichey Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, thecreator. Unfortunately, the original PC is a work PC and administered by our IT group. I have admin rights for most things, but I was not aware when I loaded Quicken that this was not manageable by my admin rights. My ID is not corrupted. I'll try the procedure you recommended and report back on results. Thank you for your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the work PC, when you create the backup copy to a removable USB stick, did you make sure you waited long enough for the data write process to finish or, better, did you select the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" function BEFORE you unplugged the USB stick? You must be sure that all Write I/O activity to the USB device has completed before you unplug it. Otherwise you end up with an unreadable, incomplete data file and folder structure.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tomrichey said:
    Thanks, thecreator. Unfortunately, the original PC is a work PC and administered by our IT group. I have admin rights for most things, but I was not aware when I loaded Quicken that this was not manageable by my admin rights. My ID is not corrupted. I'll try the procedure you recommended and report back on results. Thank you for your help.

Hi @tomrichey

When installing Quicken, right-click on the Quicken Installer and click Run as administrator.

Many Users fail to do this and the Quicken PDF Driver, does not stay installed.

You need to be connected to the Internet, prior to installing Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• tomrichey
    tomrichey Member ✭✭
    Options
    Big thanks, thecreator. That worked perfect. You saved me hours of work. Thank you very much
This discussion has been closed.