GNMA bonds not showing correct market value

Options
I added my investment accounts from Charles Schwab...
You can see that the GNMA bonds have a value of about $926. When I added the account to Quicken, here is what it showed...

The value is over $200,000 -- while I wish this were true, it's not... Any ideas on how to fix this? I noticed that the cost basis in the Quicken screen shows $0 and maybe that is why it is giving me these inflated numbers?

New user... please help!!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    No Mortgage Backed Security (MBS) - which is what a GNMA is - can have its quoted price downloaded into Quicken and have the math come out correctly because the market value also includes a "factor", which is a number reflecting how much of the original loan principal remains in the pool of mortgages backing the bond.  The best you can do is calculate a derived quote that you manually enter.
  • dawsondc
    dawsondc Member
    Options
    Someone does know how to solve this problem! Over the 20 years I have held GNMA's and used Quicken, my financial advisor has moved from Smith-Barney to UBS and then to Wells Fargo. My downloads from SB and WF have always had the problem described above, i.e. the download price is the un-factored price.

Downloads from UBS, however, always had the correct factored (market) price. So they knew how to do it right!

The UBS GNMA downloads unfortunately had another problem: the date given for the Return of Capital transaction was always the last day of the prior month, not the correct date. That error had to be fixed transaction by transaction if one wanted the end-of-quarter and end-of-year data to be correct.

But at least the UBS price was right!

Doug
This discussion has been closed.