In the new Quicken for Mac, can I assign an account or job number using Tags?

In the old version of Quicken that I use, for every transaction I assign a file number to it as a Class. That corresponds to the file number in my law office, and I am able to keep track of income and expenses for each file. Can Tags be used in the new version to replace what was a Class in the older versions of Quicken. Basically, Class for me is more than a customer number, it is a specific job number. Some customers have hundreds of separate files, because they have hired us to that many separate cases or transactions.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, Classes=Tags. You can cross categorize transactions (and group them) in the same way.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, Classes=Tags. You can cross categorize transactions (and group them) in the same way.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think tags were designed to be used as unique identifiers as you're describing, but I suppose it could work. Tags are like classes in the old Quicken, with two key differences: you can have multiple tags per transaction (a gain), and you can't have hierarchy of tags like sub-classes (a loss). You could also potentially enter an identifier in the Memo/Notes fields or the Action field.

With Memo/Notes, one trick you might find useful is that you can use the Memo field on the main transaction separately from the memo field on a split line. Here's the trick: you don't need to have multiple split lines; you can record a Note even with only one line, and it will be searchable. Here's an example:

The Search in Quicken Mac will search all fields, so searching "12345" will find this transaction, even though it's only visible if you open the split line as was done here.

I'm not saying this would be better than using Tags for your needs; just throwing it out as an alternative.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Not disagreeing, but pointing out that with Tags, there are much richer options available when generating reports. You can include only transactions with a certain tag, for example. And you can generate a cross tab report that shows Tags as columns and Categories or Payees as the rows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, I agree that Tags are more versatile for reporting. It just depends how they're being used. If there are 5 or 10 or 15 tags, then a cross-tab report can be useful; if there are 50 or 100, then possibly not. Or perhaps still useful if each tag has its own report (e.g. a report for each client file, or a report for each client's multiple files). It all depends on how many there are and how the user works with them. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.