Why do my downloaded transactions get reverted after I edit them?

Like many others, I download transactions from my financial institution, and but I often have edited the payees, categories and descriptions to be useful to me. And many of my transactions I enter as I make them, so for those they are manually entered into Quicken before they can be downloaded.

However, I've noticed a few times now in the last week or two, on my credit card there have been several transactions for which I've entered all the information I want, then a few days later when I'm going through downloaded transactions I match them up -- but sometime after that, the transaction is reverted to the downloaded information, so everything I've entered myself is wiped out. This causes some big headaches for me, not only because I have to figure out a way to notice it happened and I have to reenter that information, but also because it means I lose the tax line item that went with the category, and also lose transfers so it messes up the balance on the accounts that were on the other side of the transfers. Attached is an example of two I discovered today. The second one is for my credit card payment; for that one the transaction that had been in my checking account before is now gone.

Has anyone else seen this happening? I'm currently running Version R30.21, Build 27.1.30.21. I don't yet have any more specific information or pattern that I've been able to figure out to reproduce this issue.

Answers

  • rismanma
    rismanma Member ✭✭
    One more detail about these particular transactions. One was generated from a recurring Scheduled Transaction, and the other (the credit card payment) was a copy of a previous similar transaction. Not sure if those things are significant
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the registers, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.
    Have these accounts been selected to be synchronized with the Quicken Cloud?
    Did you restore a backup or open another Quicken file produced using the original Quicken file?
  • rismanma
    rismanma Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the registers, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.Have these accounts been selected to be synchronized with the Quicken Cloud?

    Thank you Sherlock for responding so quickly!

    No, I've had Quicken Cloud turned off for a while now (by unchecking the box in the One Step Update Settings dialog).

    The Account Details dialog shows the financial institution is Elan Financial Services and the connection method as Express Web Connect. It also shows Automatic Entry is Off. I've attached a copy of this.

    > Did you restore a backup or open another Quicken file produced using the original Quicken file?

    No, I haven't done that
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rismanma said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the registers, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.Have these accounts been selected to be synchronized with the Quicken Cloud?

    Thank you Sherlock for responding so quickly!

    No, I've had Quicken Cloud turned off for a while now (by unchecking the box in the One Step Update Settings dialog).

    The Account Details dialog shows the financial institution is Elan Financial Services and the connection method as Express Web Connect. It also shows Automatic Entry is Off. I've attached a copy of this.

    > Did you restore a backup or open another Quicken file produced using the original Quicken file?

    No, I haven't done that
    I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

    The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

    If the issue persists, you may want to consider using the Web Connect connection method: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • rismanma
    rismanma Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    >

    Thanks @Sherlock. I saw this today with another transaction, in a checking account (so it's a different account than the one I had trouble with that I described in my original post), six days after I entered it in Quicken -- but this might have been the first time I ran a download for that account since I entered that transaction, so maybe that is related.

    I tried deleting the Quicken cloud dataset associated with this Quicken file. This did seem to leave me in another difficult state, since after I changed to the temporary file to delete the dataset, Quicken left me signed out of my Quicken ID account and would no longer open the original data file without crashing. The way I was able to get out of that situation was by going back to the temporary file and turning on mobile & cloud sync there, then signing in to my Quicken ID. From that point I was able to open the original data file again.

    For now, I will watch to see if the problem recurs after today.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rismanma said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
    >

    Thanks @Sherlock. I saw this today with another transaction, in a checking account (so it's a different account than the one I had trouble with that I described in my original post), six days after I entered it in Quicken -- but this might have been the first time I ran a download for that account since I entered that transaction, so maybe that is related.

    I tried deleting the Quicken cloud dataset associated with this Quicken file. This did seem to leave me in another difficult state, since after I changed to the temporary file to delete the dataset, Quicken left me signed out of my Quicken ID account and would no longer open the original data file without crashing. The way I was able to get out of that situation was by going back to the temporary file and turning on mobile & cloud sync there, then signing in to my Quicken ID. From that point I was able to open the original data file again.

    For now, I will watch to see if the problem recurs after today.
     As Quicken crashed, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • rismanma
    rismanma Member ✭✭
    Okay, I've run the validation. There wasn't anything of note in the log, nor any instructions to review or change anything. I'll continue to monitor my downloaded transactions to see if any more go awry
  • rismanma
    rismanma Member ✭✭
    Hmm ... Just noticed this in the Release Notes:
    Version R30.19 (December, 2020)
    What's fixed
    Fixed: Resolved a synchronization issue in which some users had categories deleted for transactions after a One Step Update. While this fix will prevent the issue in the future, existing users who experienced this issue should install this update, then restore their data file from a backup.

    although it looks like I had installed that probably in around Jan. 5 and I was pretty sure I saw the issue occur with transactions after that. But, I haven't seen any go wrong in the last 4 or so weeks, so hopefully the issue is done now
Sign In or Register to comment.