How do I delete an individual security?

Options
When I click on the investment account in the sidebar, I do not see anywhere to click on "Edit Holdings". What am I missing? Where do I find the edit button to find the individual security to delete?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Window > Securities is where securities exist. You can delete one there by clicking on it, then clicking the minus sign icon at the bottom of the window.

But... you can only delete securities which haven't been used for any transactions in your data file. If you try to delete a security which has any transactions, Quicken will tell you and won't allow you to delete it. Even if it's not a security you currently hold, if it contributes to some part of your investing history, it can't be deleted. Users have asked for the ability to hide securities they no longer hold, and developers have marked that request as "planned," but we don't know when it will be implemented.

You also mentioned editing your holdings. That's probably a different matter. If you click on an account in the left sidebar, you see the Portfolio view for that account. Under the graph, there are filters for what is displayed below. If you set the first filter to Portfolio Value and the second to Group by Security, you'll get a list of your securities in the account currently (or as of any past date if you change the date in the upper right). If the portfolio shows a holding of a security you no longer own, you'll need to click on the Transactions tab, and then enter a new transaction to Sell or Remove Shares.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Window > Securities is where securities exist. You can delete one there by clicking on it, then clicking the minus sign icon at the bottom of the window.

But... you can only delete securities which haven't been used for any transactions in your data file. If you try to delete a security which has any transactions, Quicken will tell you and won't allow you to delete it. Even if it's not a security you currently hold, if it contributes to some part of your investing history, it can't be deleted. Users have asked for the ability to hide securities they no longer hold, and developers have marked that request as "planned," but we don't know when it will be implemented.

You also mentioned editing your holdings. That's probably a different matter. If you click on an account in the left sidebar, you see the Portfolio view for that account. Under the graph, there are filters for what is displayed below. If you set the first filter to Portfolio Value and the second to Group by Security, you'll get a list of your securities in the account currently (or as of any past date if you change the date in the upper right). If the portfolio shows a holding of a security you no longer own, you'll need to click on the Transactions tab, and then enter a new transaction to Sell or Remove Shares.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.