How to include transactions in a report?

I am a Quicken novice and I am trying to create a spending report for a single category and its subcategories. I must be missing a key step, because my resulting report contains only spending totals for the category and its subcategories but not the individual transactions, which I want to see. Here's what I have done:

Reports on menu line
Reports & Graphs Center
Spending by Category under Spending
Date range: Last year
Show Report
Customize (gear icon)
Categories: Clear All
Selected just the category I want. Its subcategories also got checked automatically.
OK

What do I need to do differently to get the transactions for each subcategory?
Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    With the report that you've described, go back to customization and on the Advanced tab make sure that the Subcategories box has "hide all."  That will give you a one line report of spending in the Category.  Double click on the dollar amount and all the transactions will be shown.
    Within the list of all transactions select to subtotal on Category and you'll get the detail and the total for all subcategories and the Category overall.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you can go to Banking Transaction report, and customize that to only the desired category.  
  • Tom Young and q_lurker, thank you both. Excellent suggestions. Just what I needed.
This discussion has been closed.