Quicken Freezes and Says My File Has Been Deleted

Hi--
For about five days, Quicken seems to be freezing/trying to quit itself and I see the message below. In fact, I haven't tried to delete the file or to quit Quicken. When I restart I get the setup screen also attached below. I can open my original file in its original location (my Documents Folder on iCloud) by going File>Open so it hasn't in fact been deleted and the contents seem to be ok. But it's obviously a hassle to deal with several times a day. I am using version 6.1.1
Many thanks!
Robert

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @clar260 Having your Quicken data file on a cloud service like iCloud or Dropbox is not supported. It can seem to work fine for awhile for some people, and then a variety of things can go wrong.

If you like having your Desktop and Documents folders stored on iCloud, you should create a new place for your Quicken data file. I suggest creating a folder inside your User folder (e.g. Macintosh HD > Users > your home folder). In this folder you have folders for Desktop, documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc. Create a new folder here for your Quicken data file, then move your data file from your Documents folder to here. (Copy it first; then if this works, delete the copy on iCloud to avoid confusion.)

Now drag this file to your Quicken.app icon in your Dock, to launch Quicken with this version of the file. See if that makes the scary messages go away and report back.

Note that it's fine to set your backup folder to be in your Documents folder on iCloud. It's just the live data file which has to be local on your hard drive.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @clar260 Having your Quicken data file on a cloud service like iCloud or Dropbox is not supported. It can seem to work fine for awhile for some people, and then a variety of things can go wrong.

If you like having your Desktop and Documents folders stored on iCloud, you should create a new place for your Quicken data file. I suggest creating a folder inside your User folder (e.g. Macintosh HD > Users > your home folder). In this folder you have folders for Desktop, documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc. Create a new folder here for your Quicken data file, then move your data file from your Documents folder to here. (Copy it first; then if this works, delete the copy on iCloud to avoid confusion.)

Now drag this file to your Quicken.app icon in your Dock, to launch Quicken with this version of the file. See if that makes the scary messages go away and report back.

Note that it's fine to set your backup folder to be in your Documents folder on iCloud. It's just the live data file which has to be local on your hard drive.
  • clar260
    clar260 Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much! That did the trick.

Best,

Robert
  • jacobs
    Excellent! Glad you're back in business. :)
This discussion has been closed.