'Improved Download Solution' not found in Help link, stuck with no QIF import available

Options
In trying to import a downloaded QIF file from Chase bank credit card account and import the file, it doesn't happen. There appears to be some small window with a green progress indicator that wants to come forward on my screen but it just goes away quickly. In clicking the '?' for help on the import file window I come to this link above for help and get 'Page Not Found' error no matter how many times I try. The same thing happens when searching for this on the web in Quicken.
Another user had this problem I found by searching here in the community but he was able to use the 'Validate' function to solve his problem. I tried that and no errors were found in the file.
I sure could use some help as of course I wait until the last minute to prepare my tax information for my cpa guy.
I have a paid subscription for Quicken Home and Business and it is up to date it tells me when checking for updates. I've gotten this import function to work just fine in the past and it was a great timesaver. This is a credit card file I am trying to import into.
Quicken shows I am using the latest version: 2020, R31.12,  27.1.31.12.
Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• pstreicher
    pstreicher Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Solved! I found that I have to download a QFX file from Chase in order for it to import.
    I was able to import and now see the transactions. I need to write this down somewhere for next year. :) Maybe my post will help someone else out?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For what it is worth, Chase's QIF file generation has been broken for some time now.
    Each transaction is suppose to be terminated by a line like this:
    ^
    But that line is missing.

At any rate for the supported versions of Quicken a QFX file is much better in any case.  Much of the processing like renaming rules and assigning a category based on your memorized payees isn't done for QIF imports. Transactions go directly into the register with no way to review them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pstreicher
    pstreicher Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I like all that now that I see how it works. One thing though, on my first download of a month's worth of data to reconcile an account, a transaction was missing. It is on the statement and I have a receipt but it is not in the downloaded QFX file. I have read about others having issues like this. I am on my second month now so I will be looking to see if it happens again. Not a huge problem, I can work around it but just the same, why not be 100%.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well since the QFX files comes from the financial institution any such problems are in fact something they would have to fix.

But the first thing I would check is that the missing transaction is in the QFX file.  I can think of two reasons why a transaction will not show up in Quicken.  One is it is actually missing in the QFX file, or because the unique Id FITID field is the same as another transaction in the QFX file and as such Quicken thinks it is a duplicate transaction.
    Signature:
  • pstreicher
    pstreicher Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I used Wordpad to look at the QFX file. I didn't see any duplicate transactions. I got going on my recons and importing one month at a time. I am all caught up. One thing that needs to be implemented in Quicken I think, unless I'm not finding it, is when you are accepting the downloaded transactions a transaction is matched with a different transaction but with the same amount. There is no option to to show further transactions backwards or forwards. It is just stuck on the first transaction it finds. I have had to go into the register, find the correct transaction and update it myself, usually the date is wrong, and then it will match with the downloaded transaction. It was slowing me down and a bit of annoyance until I got used to it. Have you noticed this? I hope I explained it well enough.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't used the Downloaded Tab in years, but yes your description of what happens with match that is matching the wrong transaction sounds like I remember it.  You should be able to right click in the transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab and select manual match.  That will bring up a list of transactions that haven't been matched to yet.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.