Email not updating in Quicken profile

I am unable to update my email address that is attached to my Quicken ID. The old email address continues to appear as an email under the Quicken for Windows profile and I verified that email is still sent to the old email, such as for verification before login to this forum. However, the Quicken ID itself is the new email address (the profile has a different Quicken ID and email value). There seems no way to update that email address. I phoned a month ago and tried reinstallation and different data files already. Thank you for any help with this.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In theory it shouldn't be possible for your email address and Quicken Id to be two different things.  Have you tried changing this at quicken.com?
    https://myaccount.quicken.com/account
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply and the further information. I had already tried changing the email at the above url address and within the Quicken application under preferences. Neither attempts were successful.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    network1 said:
    I am unable to update my email address that is attached to my Quicken ID. The old email address continues to appear as an email under the Quicken for Windows profile and I verified that email is still sent to the old email, such as for verification before login to this forum. However, the Quicken ID itself is the new email address (the profile has a different Quicken ID and email value). There seems no way to update that email address. I phoned a month ago and tried reinstallation and different data files already. Thank you for any help with this.
    Hi @"network1 ,

Go to: https://www.quicken.com/
    Click Sign In and under My Account, click Sign In.
    Enter your current Quicken ID and password.

Once you are in, click on Change Email / Quicken ID.
    Enter your New Email Address and current password and click Save Changes.
    Next Sign Out and Back in to make sure your New Information is working.

Now Open Quicken on the Desktop. Click Edit then Preferences.
    Click Quicken ID & Cloud Account.
    Click sign in using a different Quicken ID. Type Yes to confirm Sign Out.
    Now simply re-register your Quicken Data File.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the detailed instructions. It unfortunately does not fix the issue because the Quicken ID is already correct and matches the new email address, so the above instructions lead to an "Invalid" error message when saving the same Quicken ID. The issue is in Quicken preferences where it lists the correct ID but the old email address. That latter screen has two fields, one for ID and the other for the email.
  • thecreator
    network1 said:
    Thank you for the detailed instructions. It unfortunately does not fix the issue because the Quicken ID is already correct and matches the new email address, so the above instructions lead to an "Invalid" error message when saving the same Quicken ID. The issue is in Quicken preferences where it lists the correct ID but the old email address. That latter screen has two fields, one for ID and the other for the email.
    Hi @network1 ,

Then:

Open Quicken on the Desktop. Click Edit then Preferences.
    Click Quicken ID & Cloud Account.
    Click sign in using a different Quicken ID. Type Yes to confirm Sign Out.
    Now simply re-register your Quicken Data File.

• network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. I tried that, too, without success. I assume that the email/ID conflict is in the remote database itself.
  • network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    I contacted technical support again. Today I removed all Quicken components from the computer system and any settings in the registry, but still the old email appears in the newly installed Quicken application. I then tried to sign up for another ID and the old email appears there, too. I tried fixing the issue over a couple of months and contacted Intuit several times, but no resolution yet.
  • thecreator
    network1 said:
    I contacted technical support again. Today I removed all Quicken components from the computer system and any settings in the registry, but still the old email appears in the newly installed Quicken application. I then tried to sign up for another ID and the old email appears there, too. I tried fixing the issue over a couple of months and contacted Intuit several times, but no resolution yet.
    Hi @network1 ,

Intuit no longer owns Quicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtj1qpKcpI&feature=youtu.be

Your Quicken ID = Your Email Address

If you follow my procedure?:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

The old Email appears because you did not Sign out. If you don't Sign Out. then whatever you do, simply will be for nothing.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever tried creating a new data file and see what it has?

And just to be perfectly clear what you are talking about is this is wrong, correct?:

It sounds like a hold over from before.  Before your Quicken Id and email address could be different.  That is why there are two lines above.  But when you go to the online one you see there isn't two lines for this any more.

That leads me to believe this is some kind of data file problem, but how to fix that ...
    If it the Quicken ID/email match in the new data file that would indicate that is a data file problem.

About the only tool we have for correcting data file problems is Validate & Repair and maybe File -> File Operations -> Copy.

You might try these and "Super Validate".  For that you do the same as Validate & Repair, but hold down Shift+Ctrl while selecting the menus until you get the the Validate & Repair dialog.
    Signature:
  • network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the helpful, expert replies and for the update on the company name. I also watched the thoughtful video presentation.

I had followed a shorter version of the instructions from your first reply, but will dedicate time toward following the longer version which has extra steps and directories. I may have missed a directory to remove. I also will confirm that I have logged out before reinstalling Quicken. It is possible that I did not perform that step. That is a promising procedure to try - to verify that I am logged out before the full reinstallation.

Last, I did test new data files. That did not show a difference from the original data file in reference to the email issue. In addition, I confirm that your analysis is fully correct. The email address appears exactly where your picture indicates with an arrow.

I have used Quicken since 1993 and signed up for Checkfree at the time. Today's modern, necessary security protocols for online access seem to add some additional complexity to software use (and design I would guess). I am glad to have your instructions to follow for this corner case issue.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well in that case then the full instructions that @thecreator gave might be your best bet.  They are the most complete for cleaning out any traces of Quicken before starting again, so it the email address is in a config file or Windows registry entry that should get it.

BUT I always thought that information was stored on the Quicken server.  And only the fact that you said you tried a different Quicken Id and got the same email address made me think that it was in the data file.

I just tried something, I disabled my network connection and brought that dialog, this is the result:

To me that says it is store on the Quicken server.  And I'm also confused by the fact that you said that you created a new Quicken ID and used it.  If you create a new Quicken Id that isn't connected to a subscription then when you try to use it in Quicken I would expect it to complain in someway.
    Signature:
  • network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    I actually merely changed the Quicken ID name in the Quicken web applet. I used another email address for the new ID. Then I signed into Quicken with it and it showed the old email address under Preferences. I didn't test for creating a new Quicken ID (I did not test it yet because I thought registering with the same name and address would lead to an error or another issue).

I am reinstalling at this time. The full instructions above are more complete than the ones I used earlier. I now used Administrator level access for use of the QCleanUI too; it shows a lot of logs that were not present in my first run of the tool as a regular user. I also noted that there are additional directories listed above that I missed from the shorter instruction set. The CCleaner tool was helpful in deleting unused entries but on a cursory check did not note any entries that were definitely pertinent to the email issue, such as a plain text of an email address; although I had deleted any entries with an email address from a search of the Windows registry on an earlier try at the issue.

On this attempt, I verified that I logged out of the Quicken server before following the above instructions.

I also was trying to discern whether the email issue was from an entry on a remote server or a local file issue. My guess was that it was from a remote database, but it seems it could be an interaction between the remote and local data? I hope the new installation works.
  • network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately this last attempt did not succeed. The old email address is still appearing. I would think that it is likely that a remote server is retaining my old email address. I could ask Quicken via chat tomorrow if they can reset my account again; and as a backup option create a new account with my information, if possible.
  • thecreator
    Chris_QPW said:
    Have you ever tried creating a new data file and see what it has?

And just to be perfectly clear what you are talking about is this is wrong, correct?:

In the past, when a User creates a new Quicken Data File, no existing information was imported. Now, it is different, because you can only have one Quicken ID, the information gets imported.

• thecreator
    network1 said:
    I actually merely changed the Quicken ID name in the Quicken web applet. I used another email address for the new ID. Then I signed into Quicken with it and it showed the old email address under Preferences. I didn't test for creating a new Quicken ID (I did not test it yet because I thought registering with the same name and address would lead to an error or another issue).

I am reinstalling at this time. The full instructions above are more complete than the ones I used earlier. I now used Administrator level access for use of the QCleanUI too; it shows a lot of logs that were not present in my first run of the tool as a regular user. I also noted that there are additional directories listed above that I missed from the shorter instruction set. The CCleaner tool was helpful in deleting unused entries but on a cursory check did not note any entries that were definitely pertinent to the email issue, such as a plain text of an email address; although I had deleted any entries with an email address from a search of the Windows registry on an earlier try at the issue.

On this attempt, I verified that I logged out of the Quicken server before following the above instructions.

I also was trying to discern whether the email issue was from an entry on a remote server or a local file issue. My guess was that it was from a remote database, but it seems it could be an interaction between the remote and local data? I hope the new installation works.
    Hi @network1 ,

When you change the Quicken ID/ Email Address on the Web, it DOES NOT CHANGE in Quicken Preferences at all, within in the Desktop Application.

You must sign out of all Quicken Data Files, that you may have and re-register them.

After you changed the Quicken ID/Email Address at: https://www.quicken.com/  My Account, did you Sign Out and test the New Login, with the New Email Address and password?

Did it work? Did you see the new information, after logging back in?

You use a regular Browser and not Quicken when making changes. Browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox or Waterfox, or another one.

• network1
    network1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the kind help and your time and efforts to help me troubleshoot the issue. I confirmed with Quicken that my specific case is a known issue, but that they are working on it. I hope that it is resolved without too much trouble.
This discussion has been closed.