Categories not selected show in Planning View

I am wondering if someone can explain to me why a category I have "unchecked" to show in my Budget/Planning View, shows nonetheless? There is a category/sub-cat called Tax:Fed that I absolutely do not wish to have appear on the report, even if there are $ attributed to it in my transactions. See first attached screenshot where the box "Tax:Fed" is clearly not checked for the view. Then if you look at the second image, you can clearly see that category is visible in the view (which I do not want, nor do I want the $$'s associated with it referenced as part of the budget/spending.

Ideas?

Best Answer

  • pklocke
    pklocke Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    already tried that a few months back. I believe this is a bug. I took my file to my son's house and tried it on his quicken, same exact thing. File has also been validated and supervalidiated.

Answers

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The category is not included in the budget.  Quicken is asking you if you would like to budget the category.  That is what the  is supposed to indicate.
  • pklocke
    pklocke Member ✭✭
    Thanks for responding. Yes.. I know it is not part of the budget. I don't want it part of this budget.

    I have many other transactions also not part of this budget, and they are not showing. This carwfory is set just like those (ex luded, as you can see on the first screen cap, yet it shows anyway.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17
    pklocke said:
    Thanks for responding. Yes.. I know it is not part of the budget. I don't want it part of this budget.

    I have many other transactions also not part of this budget, and they are not showing. This carwfory is set just like those (ex luded, as you can see on the first screen cap, yet it shows anyway.
    But unlike those others, it has some actual in the month.

    If you don't want to see these suggested categories, I suggest you collapse the Everything Else categories: left-click on Everything Else.
  • pklocke
    pklocke Member ✭✭
    I have other categories with $ in them that are not showing up as I want. What I do not understand is how to make this ONE item, Tax:Fed, not show up in the report. It skews the budget summary / actual by the a mount noted.

    And of course I do not want to collapse all the line items as I want to see all the line items.

    Why can't this one budget category behave like other budget categories that I have on unselected from showing in this budget view?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    pklocke said:
    I have other categories with $ in them that are not showing up as I want. What I do not understand is how to make this ONE item, Tax:Fed, not show up in the report. It skews the budget summary / actual by the a mount noted.

    And of course I do not want to collapse all the line items as I want to see all the line items.

    Why can't this one budget category behave like other budget categories that I have on unselected from showing in this budget view?
    In the Graph view of a budget on the Planning tab, Everything Else is a catchall for all of the spending in the accounts included in the budget in categories that are not included in the budget.  Only non-budgeted categories with actuals during the time period in a included account should appear within Everything Else.

    Please show us what you mean by: It skews the budget summary / actual by the a mount noted.
  • pklocke
    pklocke Member ✭✭
    edited February 18
    Simply not correct. I have 1000's of $'s in transactions in other categories that are not showing up in 'other' like this. Please understand that I appreciate the help but your answers are not actually correct.

    Let me clarify further. This tax:fed is coming from a split income transaction, part of which is gross income (salary) and part of which is tax. I have the income (salary) categories excluded and they are not showing up in this budget View. Just the tax is showing up.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    pklocke said:
    Simply not correct. I have 1000's of $'s in transactions in other categories that are not showing up in 'other' like this. Please understand that I appreciate the help but your answers are not actually correct.
    Other is not the same as Everything Else.  Other is a pseudo-category for the transactions assigned to a parent category.  

    If you're seeing a behavior different than I have described, I suspect the Quicken file is corrupt and you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

  • pklocke
    pklocke Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    already tried that a few months back. I believe this is a bug. I took my file to my son's house and tried it on his quicken, same exact thing. File has also been validated and supervalidiated.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    pklocke said:
    already tried that a few months back. I believe this is a bug. I took my file to my son's house and tried it on his quicken, same exact thing. File has also been validated and supervalidiated.
    If you believe this is a bug, I suggest you report it to Quicken Support or select Help > Report a problem....
This discussion has been closed.