Getting rid of redundant backup files

Upon exiting, I always have Quicken store a backup file with date on an external drive. It seems Quicken also stores multiple backups in the Quicken/BACKUP data directory and then I have to manually get rid of copies which buildup over time. Anyway of stopping the data directory backup copy being made?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would your want to? 
    File corruptions doesn't always immediately manifest ... and it's not unusual to have to go back days, or even weeks, to find an uncorrupted backup file

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I hold the auto backups for a least a month or so - in case of any major errors.
    I have the manual backups build up over time,
    and then keep at least 2 a month for a year....
    When things get broken,
    and ALL your financial world is stored on Quicken -
    backups are the lifeboat.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• spuchacz94
    spuchacz94 Member ✭✭
    I've used Quicken for Business for a very long time. My data file is over 100 MB. I keep 5 backup files on an external drive and my active data file is also Backuped in the cloud on Google Drive. I just one location for my backup files on the external drive and two identical copies - one in my Quicken data directory and one external drive. I also backup my active data directory on an external drive. I just want to control one copy.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you go to Edit, Preferences, Backup you should be able to adjust or discontinue the Automatic backups and the reminder to do a manual backup.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• spuchacz94
    spuchacz94 Member ✭✭
    That's how I have things set. I think Quicken needs to make thange.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    For me, there was a period of time when the automatic backup max limit did not work that I discussed last year.  Now, after I manually deleted all the extra files, it seems to maintain the Backup directory pretty well.  There may be an additonal file or two when a program update occurs but for the last several months the directory has stayed at 15 files which is where my preference is set.  Are you using the most recent version

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• spuchacz94
    spuchacz94 Member ✭✭
    I'll try it again if it only used my external drive. Thanks.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the current version of Quicken, you can change the location of the automatic backup folder via Preferences > Backup.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• spuchacz94
    spuchacz94 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I'll try it.
This discussion has been closed.