Is there a way to bulk edit Transfers? (Q Mac)

maldini
maldini Member ✭✭
I need to edit hundreds of transactions in my checking account that are payments to a credit card account.

When I do this transaction by transaction, Quicken tells me that it has found a matching transaction and asks me if I want to match it. I click yes. Problem solved.

Is there a way to do this in bulk? I can select all transactions and edit the Transfer field in the Transaction Info box, but nothing happens.

I have hundreds of these transactions to edit. Please help!

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    1. Filter the register so that only these transactions are showing. 
    2. menu Edit > Select All (Cmd-A)
    3. menu File > Get Info (Cmd-I)
    4. Fill in the destination account in the Transfer To field.
    5. Click OK
    This will add the transfer to all these transactions. However, I don't know what Quicken will do with all the potential matches. Best case I think will be that it asks you over and over again if you want to match and you'll have to accept each one.

BTW, macOS Automator does not have any Quicken support.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• mrooney
    mrooney Mac Beta Beta
    Hi maldini,

Have you tried using Automator? You have it on your Mac and it sounds like it should do what you want. 

Regards,
    ..michael..
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    1. Filter the register so that only these transactions are showing. 
    2. menu Edit > Select All (Cmd-A)
    3. menu File > Get Info (Cmd-I)
    4. Fill in the destination account in the Transfer To field.
    5. Click OK
    This will add the transfer to all these transactions. However, I don't know what Quicken will do with all the potential matches. Best case I think will be that it asks you over and over again if you want to match and you'll have to accept each one.

BTW, macOS Automator does not have any Quicken support.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • darrenoia
    darrenoia Member ✭✭
    I just recently tried this for the first time myself. As you say, it flags the potential match and asks for your approval when you do it one at a time. You CAN do it in bulk, though, and it will match things where available. It just doesn't ask for your approval.
  • darrenoia
    darrenoia Member ✭✭
    > @darrenoia said:
    > I just recently tried this for the first time myself. As you say, it flags the potential match and asks for your approval when you do it one at a time. You CAN do it in bulk, though, and it will match things where available. It just doesn't ask for your approval.

Correction: what it seems to do is add a NEW entry to the selected account for that amount, without matching the two entries. Which is not helpful.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    darrenoia said:
    What it seems to do is add a NEW entry to the selected account for that amount, without matching the two entries. Which is not helpful.
    Can you transaction on the new transaction (or visa versa) and have Quicken merge them? That would still require a bit of manual work to merge all your duplicates transactions, but a quick drag for each pair is certainly faster than editing each transaction manually. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • KR84
    KR84 Member
    I have the same problem. Is there really no solution? Editing every single transfer one at a time to match them is very time-consuming.
This discussion has been closed.