Checking account register transaction report without expanding split transactions (Q Mac)

bob.wherley
bob.wherley Member
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
Just converted from Quicken for Windows. On the Windows version I was able to generate a Checking account register transaction report that did not expand (and list) all the categories in split-category transactions. I'm OK with seeing the category of a transaction that is not split, but don't want to see all of the categories in a split transaction. For example, if I have a transaction that is split across 5 categories, the report lists all 5 categories using a line for each category, which is a waste of paper in many cases.

Is my only option to remove the category column before I print?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    @bob.wherley Unfortunately, what you see is what you get… for now. There are a number of aspects of splits, which were originally designed in the decade-old predecessor program Quicken Essentials, which have not been modernized in the current Quicken Mac. This is one of them; there is no way in either a register presort or a Reports section report to suppress the split lines.

There are two Idea threads on this site requesting the developers add this functionality. Please take a minute to click these links and Vote for these feature requests.

(1) This request is specifically for reports generated from a transaction register:
    Need account register report without split detail

(2) This request is specifically for Transaction Reports in the Reports section:
    Remove Splits Option in Transaction Reports to Get Easier Payee Tracking

To vote for these ideas, click these links, look for the large blue box under the first post, and click on the little gray triangle under the vote counter to see your vote registered. User votes do help influence what the developers focus on. Sadly, these two ideas have not received many votes yet, so if you would like to see this functionality in Quicken Mac, please take a few seconds to vote for each of them. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    This seems like a great feature request.  I hadn't noticed this limitation until your post and trying to find a workaround, unsuccessfully.  Not only does the register report (print icon while viewing register) display all of the split detail... the Transaction by Account report does so also... but without even displaying the split total or the "S" like QWin so that you know that an entry is part of a split.

Only suggestion I have is either (a) don't print - generate a PDF and work from that, or (b) export or copy/paste the report to Excel and manually delete or collapse the split rows.  Sadly, the register report does not have an Export option... and the Transaction report doesn't tag the splits, so Excel is not much help here.

I would vote for your feature request if you add it to that forum:
    https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas-quicken-for-mac

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    @bob.wherley Unfortunately, what you see is what you get… for now. There are a number of aspects of splits, which were originally designed in the decade-old predecessor program Quicken Essentials, which have not been modernized in the current Quicken Mac. This is one of them; there is no way in either a register presort or a Reports section report to suppress the split lines.

There are two Idea threads on this site requesting the developers add this functionality. Please take a minute to click these links and Vote for these feature requests.

(1) This request is specifically for reports generated from a transaction register:
    Need account register report without split detail

(2) This request is specifically for Transaction Reports in the Reports section:
    Remove Splits Option in Transaction Reports to Get Easier Payee Tracking

To vote for these ideas, click these links, look for the large blue box under the first post, and click on the little gray triangle under the vote counter to see your vote registered. User votes do help influence what the developers focus on. Sadly, these two ideas have not received many votes yet, so if you would like to see this functionality in Quicken Mac, please take a few seconds to vote for each of them. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.