Any news on when the rollover feature will be added to the Mac version of Quicken?

Flachmom
Flachmom Member ✭✭
I'm looking to hear from someone at Quicken here. Someone who knows the scoop. This was a feature I assumed was part of the software when I purchased because it has always been a part of [Removed - Solication], and since [Removed - Solication] is free, well, I don't know why I started paying for this software when I could have gotten it for free from [Removed - Solication].

Frustrating. Please tell me if this is scheduled for development in 2021. Thank you

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @Flachmom  I'm sorry to say you won't hear from the Quicken developers here about what features are coming, or when. This is basically a user-to-user forum, with some help from the Quicken moderators (who aren't in the loop about most upcoming features).

This feature request -- which is covered in this Idea thread -- is listed as being "Under Consideration". That means it's been officially submitted to the product development teams at Quicken, and they have not yet decided yay or nay on implementation. It could be coming soon, it could be coming a year down the road, or many years down the road -- we don't know, and they don't say. (Very rarely we get a hint about something being worked on from the product manager.) Once they put an idea on the roadmap, and even after they start working on it, they never say when exactly it will be out, because things sometimes turns out to be more complex than expected, or hit major bumps during user testing, or other urgent bug fixes or changes jump ahead and take developers' time.

I wish Quicken gave customers at least some idea of things they are working on or planning to work on in the short-term, but ideas being marked as "Planned" is about all the insight we normally get. I know you want a definitive answer, and I'm only trying to share with you why it's not likely you'll get the answer you're looking for.

As for Mint, all I can say is that there are undoubtedly things Mint does better than Quicken Mac, and things Quicken Mac does better than Mint. There's no doubt that the current state of budget features in Quicken Mac is under-powered. The developers have made some changes in the past year to start adding more functionality to budgets -- like the ability to select which accounts to include in a budget, and the ability to show cash flow transfers in a budget -- so my guess is that more budget enhancements are coming. The ability to get a report as of a prior month is probably the most asked-for feature regarding budgets, and roll-over capabilities is probably number two. If budgeting is your number one reason for using a personal finance program, then there may be other options which are better at budgets than Quicken Mac at this time. How and when that will change is something we just don't know.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @Flachmom  I'm sorry to say you won't hear from the Quicken developers here about what features are coming, or when. This is basically a user-to-user forum, with some help from the Quicken moderators (who aren't in the loop about most upcoming features).

This feature request -- which is covered in this Idea thread -- is listed as being "Under Consideration". That means it's been officially submitted to the product development teams at Quicken, and they have not yet decided yay or nay on implementation. It could be coming soon, it could be coming a year down the road, or many years down the road -- we don't know, and they don't say. (Very rarely we get a hint about something being worked on from the product manager.) Once they put an idea on the roadmap, and even after they start working on it, they never say when exactly it will be out, because things sometimes turns out to be more complex than expected, or hit major bumps during user testing, or other urgent bug fixes or changes jump ahead and take developers' time.

I wish Quicken gave customers at least some idea of things they are working on or planning to work on in the short-term, but ideas being marked as "Planned" is about all the insight we normally get. I know you want a definitive answer, and I'm only trying to share with you why it's not likely you'll get the answer you're looking for.

As for Mint, all I can say is that there are undoubtedly things Mint does better than Quicken Mac, and things Quicken Mac does better than Mint. There's no doubt that the current state of budget features in Quicken Mac is under-powered. The developers have made some changes in the past year to start adding more functionality to budgets -- like the ability to select which accounts to include in a budget, and the ability to show cash flow transfers in a budget -- so my guess is that more budget enhancements are coming. The ability to get a report as of a prior month is probably the most asked-for feature regarding budgets, and roll-over capabilities is probably number two. If budgeting is your number one reason for using a personal finance program, then there may be other options which are better at budgets than Quicken Mac at this time. How and when that will change is something we just don't know.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.