How do you get rid of thousands of duplicate transactions?

Options
I have the opposite problem and can't find a fix besides manually deleting out over 3k transactions. After paying for another year I noticed that I had lost all passwords for my financial accounts so I re-entered them and hit update. I knew there …
in Downloads are incorrect. Is this fixable?

Answers

• Starksd
    Starksd Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem and can't find a fix besides manually deleting out over 3k transactions. After paying for another year I noticed that I had lost all passwords for my financial accounts so I re-entered them and hit update. I knew there was a problem when it took over 15 minutes to syn and once completed sure enough there was. Every transaction for each account going back to 2017 showed up and they didn't show as matches or near matches but new. How can I fix this without spending hours deleting each individual transaction? Is this fixable?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Starksd ,

All transactions that have already been Reconcile, can't be seen by Quicken to be matched to.

In Quicken Preferences for Downloaded Transactions, uncheck to Automatically add to Banking Registers.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Starksd ,

All transactions that have already been Reconcile, can't be seen by Quicken to be matched to.

In Quicken Preferences for Downloaded Transactions, uncheck to Automatically add to Banking Registers.
    This preference wouldn't change the problem.  When you first add an account all transactions go into the register no matter what.  Besides that the you can fix the problem no matter what this setting is even if you get duplicate transaction when doing things like like resetting Express Web Connect accounts.  The procedure on how to fix it varies, but it certainly can be done.

Starksd said:
    I have the opposite problem and can't find a fix besides manually deleting out over 3k transactions. After paying for another year I noticed that I had lost all passwords for my financial accounts so I re-entered them and hit update. I knew there was a problem when it took over 15 minutes to syn and once completed sure enough there was. Every transaction for each account going back to 2017 showed up and they didn't show as matches or near matches but new. How can I fix this without spending hours deleting each individual transaction? Is this fixable?
    Yes, you can delete all of the transactions in one operation.
    Make a backup before you do this just in case something goes wrong.

Select the gear icon at the top right of the register, then Sort options -> by Order Entered

This will put all the transactions that were just added at the bottom of the register.
    Now taking care no to select ones that are actually new select the first transaction, and then go to the last one and hold down the shift key and then right click on that last transaction.  This will select all those transactions and the right (opposed to left click) will bring up the context menu. From there you can select "Delete".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. Make sure that after you are finished you change back the sort option to what you want.  Usually that is by date, and a quick way to do that is to click on the date column header.
    Signature:
  • Starksd
    Starksd Member
    Options
    I do not have the preferences set to automatically add to register as I like to accept them manually (mainly for sales so that I can see the gain/loss) so all of these are sitting in my download transactions waiting to be accepted. Nor are these new accounts. They are 4+ years old accounts that already had thousands of transactions that I had accepted over the years. Nor are any of these reconciled transactions.

My only options in the settings for financial transactions are most recent first and oldest first so if I were to accept all I would still have duplicates mixed in. Also neither the shift key nor CTRL key work to select multiple transactions at the same time as I would have hoped when I first saw this. While I thank everyone for their suggestions none of these seem to work.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Starksd said:
    My only options in the settings for financial transactions are most recent first and oldest first so if I were to accept all I would still have duplicates mixed in. Also neither the shift key nor CTRL key work to select multiple transactions at the same time as I would have hoped when I first saw this. While I thank everyone for their suggestions none of these seem to work.
    As I said in my post looking in the "settings" is the wrong approach.
    Look back at my post.
    Here is a start:

Signature:
  • Starksd
    Starksd Member
    Options
    We appear to have different versions as I do not have the same options as what you show on your attachment. First, I do not have the icons you show. Mine are seen through the "actions" button. Secondly sorting options is not listed in my dropdown as shown attached and third mine did not come with an attitude. Thanks anyway
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, I was wondering about this. You didn't mention that this is an investment account which is different than the non investment accounts.

Unfortunately this isn't any "Order Entered" sort in the investment accounts.
    You can delete multiple transactions at a time, but the selecting of which is going to be harder.

For the investment accounts go to the menu and select "Edit Multiple Transactions".

It might be easier to work from a backup of the data file before this problem happened.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I just though of something.  If you have been reconciling the transactions then you should be able to sort by the Clr column to get the duplicates all in a row.  EDIT they will be "c" instead "R".
    Signature:
  • Starksd
    Starksd Member
    Options
    Deleting them by using the multiple edit option would be faster so thanks for that suggestion. Just a shame that Quicken didn't "see" them as duplicates and show them as matching transactions which would have saved me a couple of hours
This discussion has been closed.