Security of online accounts usernames and passwords

Options
rlev
rlev Member
Are these only stored on my computer or does intuit have a copy in the cloud?

Best Answers

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you go into One Step Update and click on settings, you'll see some with a gold key. Those are saved with Quicken's aggregation provider.

Refer to https://www.quicken.com/support/why-dont-i-need-enter-my-bank-password-download-my-bank

wags Glad to be here!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The question was for Quicken Mac and the reply above is for Quicken Windows.

If any of your online accounts use Quicken Connect as the connection method, those login credentials are encrypted and stored on Quicken's servers. (With Quicken Connect, a Quicken server logs in daily to download your transactions and hold them for you come along and ask to download to your desktop file.) For accounts which use Direct Connect (where your local copy of Quicken communicates directly with a financial institution's server) Quicken Mac stores passwords locally using the Mac operating system's Keychain.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you go into One Step Update and click on settings, you'll see some with a gold key. Those are saved with Quicken's aggregation provider.

Refer to https://www.quicken.com/support/why-dont-i-need-enter-my-bank-password-download-my-bank

wags Glad to be here!

• rlev
    rlev Member
    Options
    thanks, I was searching help for that info and was not having success ... I think you've given me the answer I'm looking for.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The question was for Quicken Mac and the reply above is for Quicken Windows.

If any of your online accounts use Quicken Connect as the connection method, those login credentials are encrypted and stored on Quicken's servers. (With Quicken Connect, a Quicken server logs in daily to download your transactions and hold them for you come along and ask to download to your desktop file.) For accounts which use Direct Connect (where your local copy of Quicken communicates directly with a financial institution's server) Quicken Mac stores passwords locally using the Mac operating system's Keychain.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rlev
    rlev Member
    Options
    Thanks that helps.

I have been using quicken for years and walk a thin security line with it.
    For convenience, I trust quicken to be secure enough to handle some accounts but not all of them. I would not want to loose everything if there ever was a breach.

To solve that, I've been trying to get some of my online accounts to create a 2nd read only login ... Given that. I'd quick connect without hesitation as I use other apps for my banking and trades.

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.