Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Has anyone else had issues where Quicken (Win) stopped downloading from banks (but not brokerage)?

Here's the scenario and the steps taken to resolve. Any input/comments appreciated.

Quicken (Deluxe), after a recent upgrade, decided that connecting to my banks was no longer available. It didn't give me an error message, it just stopped working. It also wouldn't let me "reset" my connections. I spent hours on the phone with Quicken support to get it to reconnect, ultimately by deleting the banking info and reconnecting to each bank one-by-one. At that point, it created a new "Opening Balance" with the current online balance replacing the original amount in the data file. It was a mess with my having multiple backups while trying to resolve the issue.

What I finally ended up doing, as after several hours of rebuilding files on my machine with zero confidence in the data, was to pull a backup from over a month ago, throwing it on a flash drive, and utilizing it with a "clean" install of Quicken I did on an alternate machine. This gave me data I had confidence in, even if it was lacking in the software itself.

Once the data was restored to the new machine, I had to reconnect to the banks as that info is part of hidden files that don't get backed-up as part of the backup. Again, the data files "changed" opening balances after connecting to the banks, but I deleted/reset them to the correct balances and everything seems to be resolved (so far).

The thing that now concerns me is moving the data files back to the original machine as the "hidden" transfer data files won't copy over and I don't want to have to reset the banks all over again and clean up the mess once more. I don't want to have to "reconnect" all of the banks again, presuming they will then work, and have to clean up opening balances again.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but this is frustrating after having used Quicken since version 1.03 for DOS. Any thoughts from the community?

Answers

  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well one of the major difference is between brokerage accounts and bank accounts is that brokerage accounts have to use Direct Connect, whereas the bank accounts can be either Direct Connect or Express Web Connect.  Direct Connect is much more reliable than Express Web Connect.  Especially now.  Two different things have converged and I see much more people reporting problems with Express Web Connect.  One is that Quicken Inc is push users to a new connection method for Express Web Connect called QCS and for some people that has been a problem.  The other is with the stimulus checks coming out the banks are "throttling access" mostly to the "aggregators" like Intuit that provides the Express Web Connect service to Quicken Inc.

    I only have on Express Web Connect account and the rest are Direct Connect, and basically other that some problems caused by USAA I'm not really seeing any errors, certainly not the "connection/reset" kind.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. if you are using sync to Mobile/Web that has been causing a lot of grief for people lately too.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • t0pcat
    t0pcat Member
    Thanks, Chris. No... I don't sync to Mobile/Web. This did begin when the net was clogged with the stimulus transactions.
Sign In or Register to comment.