Reinvest Dividend in Budgets

Options
I get quarterly dividends from certain stocks I own that are reinvested to buy more shares. I manuallyenter these transactions as Reinvest Dividend transactions in accounts set up for each of the stocks. However, the budget process does not recognize these as dividend income. For stocks I have that are managed by market managing firms, the downloads that go to Quicken for reinvested dividends are captured in the budget. The reason is that there are two entries in the download, one the dividend income amount and the other a buy transaction for the shares purchased by the dividend. I am wondering whether the budget process should include Reinvest Dividend transactions. When I manually add a Dividend Reinvestment transaction, I have to enter the dividend dollars, the shares purchased, and any fee charged.

Best Answer

• James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for your insights. The dividend income did come in correctly.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @James Sapp Your budget can definitely show reinvested dividend income. Click on Edit Budget, and then check the settings for Accounts and Categories. For Accounts, are you using all accounts? (Some people might want to not show income from retirement accounts, for instance.) for Categories, check to see if you have the entire Investment category and all its subcategories checked. (Specifically Dividend Income in this case.) A manually entered Reinvest Dividend transaction does show up in the budget if you have the category enabled.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for your insights. The dividend income did come in correctly.
This discussion has been closed.