Merging mutual fund accounts

Options
2»

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @vk8tx

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with the community. 

I've read through the suggestions offered so far and if you haven't already, wanted to offer one more suggestion of utilizing the "Move Transactions" feature which should allow you to select all transactions from one account and merge them into another account.

More information on moving investment transactions, if needed, is also available here.

As always, please create a backup before moving the transactions and please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Quicken Sarah

Moving the transactions is a possible alternative to the method I recommended, but of course it is not what happened in real life, and one of my goals was to preserve that history.

A couple of caveats with the "moving" approach:

-- Before moving the transactions, he would have to turn off the Single Mutual Fund setting for the destination (Research) account so that it can hold more than one security.

-- After the move, he would still have to do the Mutual Fund conversion in the Research account to convert the Fund shares to Research shares.

QWin Premier subscription
  • vk8tx
    vk8tx Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Jim_Harman and Quicken Sarah for the suggestions. I've completed the merge with your help and will now update it to current values. I'll work on the other 8 MF's and ask more questions when they arise.
  • vk8tx
    vk8tx Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks q_lurker for the help and suggestions. I have exported the Research data to Excel and see that I have all the purchase data (monthly, Cap Gains, Dividends) so cost basis won't be a worry when I sell. And...Precision doesn't bother me now.