Home screen display date range

Options
sengler
sengler Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I've wanted for some time to be able to select previous year (as in tax year) for the pretty graph display on the Home screen. It seems limiting that I can't view anything more specific than the 5 options given. Yes I use the Reports feature for this, but they don't do graphs. How about it?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @sengler The developers don't generally read posts here, but there is a longstanding Idea thread requesting a customizable Home screen on the forum. The good news is that it has been marked "Planned" by the developers. The bad news is that we have no idea when changes will appear -- it could be within a few months, or years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @sengler  Yes, we all use and like different aspects of Quicken. I'm more of a "table of numbers" guy, so graphs were something I never used in Quicken 2007 and never missed in modern Quicken Mac. But there are many Quicken users who want to be able to do graphs of report data. There's a different Idea thread here which I suggest you visit and vote for, requesting the ability to create graphs/charts of data.

It's impossible to know if the developers view this as a desirable feature, but less important than other things they have worked on over the years, or if they feel charts and graphs are better left to spreadsheet programs which offer infinite variations in style and formatting.

The limited few charts in the current Quicken comes from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials, the code from which the current Quicken Mac was built on; at that time, Intuit had just hired the founder of Mint, and there was a clear influence to make the next-generation Quicken for Mac have more of the candy-colored charts like Mint. Then development stalled for a few years, and when it was picked up, adding core functionality to make Quicken a more capable successor to Quicken 2007 has been driving most of the development work. So perhaps they plan to add more chart/graph capabilities in the future, or perhaps not -- we don't know. Adding votes to the thread I linked above could help push that topic in front of the developers for a yea or nay decision.

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @sengler The developers don't generally read posts here, but there is a longstanding Idea thread requesting a customizable Home screen on the forum. The good news is that it has been marked "Planned" by the developers. The bad news is that we have no idea when changes will appear -- it could be within a few months, or years.
  • sengler
    sengler Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, Jacobs. May it work out soon. I guess I can run a report for last year and export to csv or excel, and graph that way, but seems more complicated. Quicken does a very nice enough job right there, just limited to previous 12 months only. Thanks
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @sengler  Yes, we all use and like different aspects of Quicken. I'm more of a "table of numbers" guy, so graphs were something I never used in Quicken 2007 and never missed in modern Quicken Mac. But there are many Quicken users who want to be able to do graphs of report data. There's a different Idea thread here which I suggest you visit and vote for, requesting the ability to create graphs/charts of data.

It's impossible to know if the developers view this as a desirable feature, but less important than other things they have worked on over the years, or if they feel charts and graphs are better left to spreadsheet programs which offer infinite variations in style and formatting.

The limited few charts in the current Quicken comes from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials, the code from which the current Quicken Mac was built on; at that time, Intuit had just hired the founder of Mint, and there was a clear influence to make the next-generation Quicken for Mac have more of the candy-colored charts like Mint. Then development stalled for a few years, and when it was picked up, adding core functionality to make Quicken a more capable successor to Quicken 2007 has been driving most of the development work. So perhaps they plan to add more chart/graph capabilities in the future, or perhaps not -- we don't know. Adding votes to the thread I linked above could help push that topic in front of the developers for a yea or nay decision.
  • sengler
    sengler Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, Jacobs, I get it. Used to be in software development as QA myself, I remember these kinds of choices. I still love Quicken for the Mac appreciating all the company has done to improve it so far.
This discussion has been closed.