Different Account Headings in Account List and Account Bar

I have recently agreed to give my wife some time for other activities by taking over the Quicken duties that she has performed for many years. I've always been the computer techie in the family but not the financial wizard, so I have some learning to do. Yesterday as my first project I hid (not deleted yet) a number of obsolete accounts such as credit cards and bank accounts that we no longer have. I also renamed a number of accounts to be more consistent. Now I have questions related to accounts.

In the Account LIST the accounts appear under the headings Spending, Savings, Credit, Investment, Retirement, Asset and Liability. In the Account BAR on the left side of the Quicken screen the same accounts appear in the same order, but they have the headings Banking (which include the Spending, Savings and Credit accounts), Investing (which include the Investment and Retirement accounts), and Property & Debt (which include the Asset and Liability accounts). The headings in the Account LIST do not appear in the Account BAR, but their positions in the Account BAR are denoted by thin horizontal lines between groups of accounts.

Questions: What is the origin of the headings in the Account LIST and the Account BAR? Are they standard in Quicken or can they be changed? How can an account be moved from one group to another? Example: moving an account currently under Investment in the Account LIST to Retirement.

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    They are fixed terms/sections.

If you right click on an account in the account bar and select Edit/Delete account and then select the Display Options tab you will see a setting for the "Account intent".  Changing that allows you to move the account into a different section.

Note that not all combinations are possible, it depends on the account type of what account intents you can set.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    They are fixed terms/sections.

If you right click on an account in the account bar and select Edit/Delete account and then select the Display Options tab you will see a setting for the "Account intent".  Changing that allows you to move the account into a different section.

Note that not all combinations are possible, it depends on the account type of what account intents you can set.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim in Arizona
    Jim in Arizona Member ✭✭
    Chris, thanks for the info. We have five IRA accounts. Three were listed under Investment and two under Retirement. Upon further examination, I found that when the accounts were first created, the first three were specified as Brokerage and the other two as Traditional IRA. There is no option to change the latter two, which makes sense, since they are definitely retirement accounts. The other three can be changed from Investment to Retirement, and I have done that.