Category field in an investment register

How do I edit a category in an investment register. I.e., where is the category field?

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Not all investing transactions allow categories - Bought, Sold, and transfers for example.

Some transactions assign the category  automatically - dividends and interest for example.

For cash transactions - Deposit, Withdraw, MiscInc, and MiscExp for example - you can assign and edit the category.

Foreign taxes and management fees would normally be entered as a MiscExp. If 0.123 shares were sold to pay for a management fee of $25.00, you would enter that as a Sold of 0.123 shares producing 25.00 in cash, then a MiscExp of $25.00 with whatever category you use for the fees.

For deposits and withdrawals in the investment transaction list, the Category is not shown unless the transaction is selected. When you click on a transaction to select it, you can see and edit the category.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks so much for this very complete and expeditious response.

Answers

• actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    To elaborate, I actually want to edit a category for some investment transactions that are shown as uncategorized. By way of example, some of these transactions are foreign taxes paid, and some are management fees. I can perform these edits from within the list of uncategorized transactions, for which there IS shown a category field. However, I don't see the category field in an investment account's transaction list. Does that mean that I can't edit the category there?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Not all investing transactions allow categories - Bought, Sold, and transfers for example.

Some transactions assign the category  automatically - dividends and interest for example.

For cash transactions - Deposit, Withdraw, MiscInc, and MiscExp for example - you can assign and edit the category.

Foreign taxes and management fees would normally be entered as a MiscExp. If 0.123 shares were sold to pay for a management fee of $25.00, you would enter that as a Sold of 0.123 shares producing 25.00 in cash, then a MiscExp of $25.00 with whatever category you use for the fees.

For deposits and withdrawals in the investment transaction list, the Category is not shown unless the transaction is selected. When you click on a transaction to select it, you can see and edit the category.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks so much for this very complete and expeditious response.