Is there a way to remove the "S" from the check number field on reports

cluiso
cluiso Member
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Is there a way to remove the split indicator "S" from the check number field on reports? I want to upload to bank and it's becoming part of the check number.
Tagged:

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I would guess that you are using a Register report, or a Banking Transaction report, and perhaps exporting to Excel?

What I see in Excel in that case is my 4 digit check number followed by 8 spaces and an S. This occurs whether or not you have selected Show splits in the report customization. If your check numbers have a different number of digits, there might be a different number of spaces.

If so, one workaround would be to do a search and replace in Excel and replace the 8 spaces and S with nothing.

Out of curiosity, why are you uploading check transactions to the bank? Usually banking transactions go in the opposite direction. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • cluiso
    cluiso Member
    I am uploading to the bank for a fraud security feature called "positive pay". If a check is not listed in the file, it will be rejected if presented for payment. Files need to be save as .txt to upload to my bank.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, cool! I have not heard of anyone doing that from Quicken before. 

What format and data exactly does the bank want? .txt could be practically anything.
  • cluiso
    cluiso Member
    the bank needs a very specific format, working through that now. looks like data will need further manipulation, not just a straight download from quicken...
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, then as part of the manipulation you could remove the spaces and the S from the check number.

This bank
    https://www.firstrepublic.com/-/media/frb/documents/pdfs/corporate-online-resources/positive-pay.pdf

for example wants a comma separated (CSV) file, which is easy to generate in Excel.

• Jim_Harman
    In reviewing other questions on this forum about Positive Pay, it seems that the recommendation is usually to use the bank's online bill pay service via Quicken. Then Quicken sends the check info directly to the bank and the bank handles the printing and mailing or electronic payment, and takes responsibility for any fraud.

You would need to use a bank that supports Direct Connect as a connection method and offers this service.

I suppose this would not work for you if you must print and hand distribute the checks.
This discussion has been closed.