Forced exit from Quicken when Mac tries to shut down

Options
Schnaupin
Schnaupin Member
This is more a minor annoyance rather than a serious error or problem, but when my Mac tries to power down after so many minutes of inactivity, Quicken prompts me whether I want to save a backup or not. However, it doesn't give me an option to "remain open." So, I'm forced to quit and then reopen Quicken.

Is there a way to keep Quicken open without quitting?

FWIW, I don't know why the Mac tries to power down from inactivity; the System Preferences are set to "never."

Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken will stay open indefinitely (although it's not a great idea to keep it open without quitting -- triggering a backup -- and reopening periodically).

From your description, Quicken is only quitting because your Mac is trying to shut down; of course every app closes when the Mac goes through its shutdown process. I don't know why your Mac is shutting down, but that's what you need to get to the bottom of. Is there any message on your Mac when it goes through this shutdown process? (I occasionally open my MacBook Pro and get a message that the Mac is scheduled to shut down, which it is not; I'm able to cancel the shutdown, but I've never figured out what this happens every now and then)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Schnaupin
    Schnaupin Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, Quicken is trying to shut down because my Mac is, for whatever reason I have yet to figure out. No message from MacOS, but open apps either shut automatically, or don't completely shut down but ask me if I want to save my file first (Excel, Word, Quicken). Excel and Word let me click on a "Do Not Exit" button and return to my work. Quicken does not, offering only to back up or not. Would be nice to have Quicken also offer not to shut down, but to stay open.

Fortunately, my Mac is not shutting down randomly, but only after about a ½ hour or so and no input from my keyboard or mouse, and despite my power settings.

So, if I can figure out why the Mac is shutting down, the Quicken problem would be moot. However, bypassing the shut down process and returning to Quicken (like Excel) would be a great band-aid in the meantime!

Thanks again.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Since what you describe is an uncommon situation, I think it's probably unlikely the Quicken engineers would make such a change -- and if they did, it's not likely to be forthcoming in the near future. Hopefully you can pursue the shutdown issue with Apple and get that resolved; as you note, that will make the Quicken issue moot. Best of luck!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Schnaupin
    Schnaupin Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that trying to engineer a way around an uncommon problem isn't the best use of resources. I normally choose Don't Back Up and then re-open Quicken. Like I said, it's only a minor annoyance. In the meantime, I'll need to figure out why the Mac ignores my System Preferences and tries to shut down. OR, maybe that's a good excuse to get a new Mac with the M1. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.