BofA Bill Pay downloaded transactions do not Match register entries - come in as New

Options
Need a little help with this one.

I pay bills monthly using the Bk of Am on-line Bill Pay feature - and then enter all of the transactions in the Checking account register.

Later, when I download all of the transactions from BofA, they all come in as New transactions - yet the dates and amounts match. I have to Match each transaction up manually to keep from getting double entries in my check register.

Not sure what is going on. THIS ONLY HAPPENS with the Bill Pay transactions - all other downloaded entries come in and match as you would expect.

ron in shawnee

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Ron n Round Rock

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue although I apologize that you have not received a response.

The matching criteria that quicken uses to determine a match are as follows:
    1. Downloaded ID, to see if the transaction has been downloaded previously or not. This Downloaded ID is compared to the <FITID> or <Transaction_ID> in the downloaded data.
    2. Date + Amount + Payee, to see the newly downloaded transaction matches one that was manually entered into the account register prior to the download.
    To learn more please see the full article here. There are no additional settings to adjust the matching criteria at this time. Continuing to match these transactions should improve the behavior over time. 

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyka- Thanks for the response and the article. I still don't know what is going on - the transactions "used" to Match, but I think that was years ago now. There are no duplications (your point #1), so I guess the problem is with matching (your point #2). The Dates and Amount match, but I didn't think the Payee made that much difference. I guess my real confusion is that all of my other "checks-written" entries in the check register always match when I do a download - it is just the entries I make when I pay my bills (via BofA Bill Pay).

Maybe it has something to do with the way I make my entries. After using BofA to pay my bills (got them all lined up so that I only have to do this once a month, 8-9 bills), I enter the bill paid transaction in my check register - with the Date I paid the bill, "using ETF in the check # field" (since there is no real check # associated with the BofA Bill Pay) and the Payee Name for the bill (gas, electric, cable, phone, etc.) and Amount, along with a Category.

A few days later when I download the transactions from BofA, none of them Match - they all show up as New in the downloaded transactions - and if I accept them, I end up with double entries in my check register. Yes, I can and do manually match the transactions - and that works - but it is a pain to do this each for the 8-9 transactions. The only slightly funny thing that happens is the the Check # field changes to some fictitious number (I assume assigned by BofA) with a lightening-bolt in that field. (which probably also means something).

I will have to confess that I have not played around with the Check # field when making my original entry - do you think that could be the culprit, the reason the transactions do not Match - or is the Payee that sensitive.

ron in shawnee