Easy ways to track land investment with rent as an asset class in Quicken Premier

I have Quicken premiere to track investments and would like to setup land as an asset class and record rent distribution and cap appreciation. I don't need any fancy billing, invoicing, etc. tools of Quicken Business/Property. I simply want to track rent rcvd, unrealized cap gain and have it show up as Land asset in allocation views.

I tried to capture it as a security without a ticker & denoting it as a land asset. This seemed to work well for investment allocation tracking. However, distributed rent is okay as it is transferred out, however, any reinvestment transactions requires trying to price as 'shares' vs simply increasing/descreasing the value. I am restricted as to the type of transactions I am allowed because it treats it as a secruity.

I also tried listing each land investment as a separate account. This seemed to allow the functionality listed above, except that it is not showing as an asset when I try to use allocation views. I know I could do it be account, but that is confusing alongside brokerage accounts.

Is there an easier way I am missing to use Quicken Premiere to track this type of investment?

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    If you want to track a piece of property within your investment Accounts the only way to do that is by creating a "security."  I'm puzzled by the reference to a "reinvestment" transaction but if the larger point is that investing "fresh" money into the property is an issue for you, perhaps setting up the property with an initial cost as
    XXX,XXX number of shares with each share costing $1, (hence, XXX.XXX x $1 = purchase price),
    would work.  Any additional costs sunk into the property would be booked as a purchase of $Y,YYY number of shares at $1 apiece.  Your update of the "quote" for the "security would handle the unrealized appreciation.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would be using the land as a security option.  Perhaps 1 'share' is 1 acre such that you are incrementing the value on a per-acre basis.  All sorts of variations possible, Farm A, bottom land, crop land, grazing land, woodlands.  

I am not sure why you would be needing reinvestment transactions.  You can increase the value simply by increasing the per share (per acre) price of the security.
  • Scrappydoo
    Scrappydoo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the helpful answers!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    If you want to track a piece of property within your investment Accounts the only way to do that is by creating a "security."  I'm puzzled by the reference to a "reinvestment" transaction but if the larger point is that investing "fresh" money into the property is an issue for you, perhaps setting up the property with an initial cost as
    XXX,XXX number of shares with each share costing $1, (hence, XXX.XXX x $1 = purchase price),
    would work.  Any additional costs sunk into the property would be booked as a purchase of $Y,YYY number of shares at $1 apiece.  Your update of the "quote" for the "security would handle the unrealized appreciation.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I would be using the land as a security option.  Perhaps 1 'share' is 1 acre such that you are incrementing the value on a per-acre basis.  All sorts of variations possible, Farm A, bottom land, crop land, grazing land, woodlands.  

I am not sure why you would be needing reinvestment transactions.  You can increase the value simply by increasing the per share (per acre) price of the security.
  • Scrappydoo
    Scrappydoo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for the helpful answers!