Data lost on harddrive - complete \Quicken\ data folders are missing

Apache32
Apache32 Member ✭✭
My data is missing on the harddrive. I was working with the program and close it out.
Then reopened the program using the shortcut and the data is not there. I can't find it anywhere on my computer.

How can this happen? I have used Quicken for a couple decades now. The backup folder is missing too. This is so weird and nothing else is missing on the harddrive that I am aware of so far.

Tim Edmonds

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Apache32 said:
    The data is still on my phone, so why can't I restore from the Cloud?
    Because it isn't a backup.  It is a partial copy of your data just for some remote functions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt if anyone can satisfactorily answer "how can this happen?" and I am assuming because you have made this post you only had one backup for your data? The rule of thumb is, if you only have one backup, your data is not backed up. Please tell me you have backed up to an external source!

You should create a backup for personal files and another for the system. Keeping one backup in a single location is also risky, because the backup drive may also fail. Therefore, you should save more than one backup, and it is even better to save the redundant backup on different locations.

Color me paranoid but in addition to the Quicken backup on my computer I also backup to Dropbox, a thumb drive, and an external hard drive. It is highly unlikely that all four backups will crash at the same time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing you can try to find the Quicken data file(s) is:
    File -> Find Quicken Data Files...

But like @The Keeper said if you didn't back them up to a different drive you may be out of luck.
    BTW just in case you don't know recently they added a feature where you can set where the automatic backup go.  So instead of a Backup folder right where your data files is (which of course is on the same drive) you could direct it to another drive or Dropbox/One Drive/...

Note the reason I don't have these set is because I have completely different way to backup my Quicken data file outside of Quicken.
    Signature:
  • Apache32
    Apache32 Member ✭✭
    The hard drive hasn't crashed, all of the other programs are working fine. I backup my data on a regular basis and to two different folders (odd / even) for odd months and even months. My problem will be that the alternate source backup (another drive) is a few months old, my bad.
    However, how can the complete "Quicken" folder and all of its subfolders disappear? This isn't normal especially when all of the other data on the drive is shown. It appears to me that the Quicken program has an issue. I don't like the automatic updates, so I need to find how to turn those off.

The product is not as reliable as it was a few years ago. I will try the find quicken files again in the application but it didn't find when I tried it the first time or when I used explorer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tim
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, did you look in the Recycle Bin?
  • Apache32
    Apache32 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, but I have been using Quicken too long for the basic issues. I did make the mistake of not using the external backup on a regular basis. However using backup folders that are different should help unless the harddrive crashes. This is a new computer that is only one year old, just doesn't make sense. I have been experiencing issue with the PNC bank downloads, but probably not related.
  • Apache32
    Apache32 Member ✭✭
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Apache32 said:
    Because it isn't a backup.  It is a partial copy of your data just for some remote functions.
    Signature:
  • Apache32
    Apache32 Member ✭✭
    I want to thank everyone on the forum for the responses. It got me to thinking about deletions.
    The folder/files more under a Turbotax subfolder a couple levels down. Only the Gods know how the folder got moved during use of the File Explorer. However the "Quicken Find Files" didn't work on this Windows machine. I assume because it was several level down in the Turbotax data folders. I just started looking into all of the folders and drilling down until I found the Quicken folder which isn't the default folder. Probably another reason the "Find" didn't work....maybe. I just wanted to share the resolution. Thanks again.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why the Find Quicken Files didn't work ... found all the ones scattered across our C: drive -
    Of course... Windows File Explorer and Search would have found the same *.QDF files.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    Not sure why the Find Quicken Files didn't work ... found all the ones scattered across our C: drive -
    Of course... Windows File Explorer and Search would have found the same *.QDF files.

I was wondering the same thing. My guess would be not waiting long enough.
    If the search was on an old (non SSD) drive that was fairly large it could take a very long time for the search (even on an SSD it isn't a "short amount of time").

You will notice in your search above, it hadn't finished yet.

Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    You will notice in your search above, it hadn't finished yet.
    yeah - I just wanted to Snip it for the list of scattered files .....
    BUT - yeah - it is a LONG search across the entire disk.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.