Using Quicken on two computers with different data files

Clifford Egel
Clifford Egel Member ✭✭
I had been running Quicken 2017 on two Macs, with two completely different data sets, for some time with no worries. Some time ago I updated one of the copies to the new Quicken subscription version, and continued to use it, again with no issues on either computer.

The trouble apparently began when I decided to update Quicken 2017 to the new version on the second Mac. That copy ran just fine, but the copy on the first Mac would no longer download financial data. It would go through the motions, and generate an appropriate Account Status report showing success, but no data was downloaded. In addition, pop-up windows were appearing informing that there were difficulties downloading data- but the accounts shown in the windows had been closed long ago.
In addition, I noticed that one of the accounts from the second computer’s data file now somehow appeared in the account list of the first computer.

On a hunch, I disconnected the data update on the second computer, and tried the first computer again. The download problem was the same as before, but the pop-up windows no longer appeared.

Help!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Try this: Go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services in both files and make sure they have different Quicken cloud accounts for each. After doing so, click Reset on that screen. After this, you may need to disconnect and reconnect the problem accounts for download. Make backups of both files beforehand just in case something goes amiss.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Quicken 2017's data downloading has been discontinued; if you still have that on the first computer, it shouldn't be downloading data no matter that you do. RickO's post above should get your subscription Quicken back to functioning. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Cloud reset is a one-way action: it updates the cloud dataset with the content of your local file. So as long as your local file has the correct data, then there will be no data loss. Always make a backup of the good data file beforehand though.

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Try this: Go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services in both files and make sure they have different Quicken cloud accounts for each. After doing so, click Reset on that screen. After this, you may need to disconnect and reconnect the problem accounts for download. Make backups of both files beforehand just in case something goes amiss.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Quicken 2017's data downloading has been discontinued; if you still have that on the first computer, it shouldn't be downloading data no matter that you do. RickO's post above should get your subscription Quicken back to functioning. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Clifford Egel
    Clifford Egel Member ✭✭
    I checked both computers- the original computer shows a nickname of Quicken Data under <preferences><connected services>; the other computer shows nothing- just a blank field. On the Quicken website it shows two Quicken cloud accounts- one Quicken Data and the other one my name and Finances.
    I was thinking of entering a new nickname in the blank field on the second computer, but must admit to some trepidation- apparently the cloud account will need to be reset, with possible loss of data.
    THANK YOU for your help!
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Cloud reset is a one-way action: it updates the cloud dataset with the content of your local file. So as long as your local file has the correct data, then there will be no data loss. Always make a backup of the good data file beforehand though.
  • Clifford Egel
    Clifford Egel Member ✭✭
    Rick & Jacobs:
    It worked! Had to disconnect and reconnect all of the accounts, but all is well again.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    Cliff
This discussion has been closed.