Can't manually sell a security

Options
markdhamill
markdhamill Member ✭✭
I have a number of securities I track manually because Quicken does not know about security in the Thrift Savings Plan for Federal Employees. I created these (C Fund, F Fund, G Fund, I Fund and S Fund) and for many years when I've bought or sold I entered these manually. Now I can't because I guess with a recent update they don't appear in the Buy/Sell dropdown as a defined security. It wasn't a problem before and in the portfolio view I still see these in list of securities I own. Is there a workaround for this?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm puzzled by what you describe. I'm not aware of anything in any updates to Quicken Mac which interfere with securities which don't have ticker symbols. To verify this, I just created a security called Test Security…

and the security shows up in the Security field drop-down menu, so I can I can enter a transaction to Buy shares of the security:

Can you see anything that looks different with your securities than these screen shots? 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Ah, the problem is that you have used the Type "Index". Index is reserved for market indexes you can't own, such as S&P 500 or Nasdaq. (There's currently no way to chart your holding versus an index, but it appears they exist so such a feature can be added in the future.) 

Simply change your account Type to anything else, such as Mutual Fund, and your problem will be solved. :)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • markdhamill
    markdhamill Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks! This worked!
This discussion has been closed.