Updating banks accounts

So the recent updates of quicken are doing a better job of updating bank accounts. I learned in talking with support that is better to transfer the entire quicken file to my second machine rather than restore the file from the backup - because it generates copies on your quicken servers, apparently.

But when I do this on my second machine, it doesn't seem to have all the linkages to bank accounts unless they are reset. After that, perhaps it is ok. Should I also transfer other files, in addition to the quicken .QDF files ?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That shouldn't be the way it works.  It really should be that you can just copy your *.QDF file to the other machine and open it, and the bank connections should work the same as on the first machine.

What kind of errors are you getting, and what connection type are the problem accounts (Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, Web Connect)?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • quickuser199
    quickuser199 Member ✭✭
    I agree, in the past there was never this issue. I get the panel after the update with a lot of failed connection messages.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are all the accounts that are failing Express Web Connect (you can check what they are on the Account List, Ctrl+A)?
    Signature:
  • user-trouble
    user-trouble Member ✭✭
    Yes. All work on primary machine. 2nd machine problems
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    About all I can think of is some kind of "sync" problem with the cloud data set.
    To delete it and recreated it you need to create a new data file and turn on Sync to Mobile/Web in that data file:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web (or just turn it on when creating it)
    And then select:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken Id(x)
    From the dialog that comes up you can delete the cloud dataset from the original data file.

Once you switch back to the original data file and do a One Step Update the cloud dataset will be recreated.

After this try copying the data file to the second machine and see if it behaves correctly.
    Signature:
  • user-trouble
    user-trouble Member ✭✭
    I've been keeping cloud data turned off because of update issues a while ago. I'll try it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've been keeping cloud data turned off because of update issues a while ago. I'll try it.
    Note this is just turning it on long enough to change the settings, and then turn it back off.
    Signature:
  • quickuser199
    quickuser199 Member ✭✭
    I toggled it, turned it off, didn't seem to change much. But let me see when I update tomorrow
  • quickuser199
    quickuser199 Member ✭✭
    Now my main machine doesn't update properly - clicking update doesn't actually update bank accounts, resetting does. But sometimes the reset results in a balance change before anything is accepted. Not exactly a time saver. I can't find a consistent way.
  • quickuser199
    quickuser199 Member ✭✭
    After way too many attempts, I made a new file - laborious. But it works. Something about the "new improved" cloud update does not work with my quicken files. I had to do the same thing a year or so ago. Now that file doesn't work. My brokerage accounts continue to update, so I kept the file because it is full of historical information. But bank account records are trashed. It's sort of ok, because I keep other records for banking - quicken just does the daily updates for me, so current info is good enough. I can always open the old files but don't update them, because balances get trashed.

I would rater have a compete historical record, but this is good enough. It's accurate and current.
This discussion has been closed.