Will Quicken Windows run on new M1 Mac with Parallels

MDJ
MDJ Member
Hi, I currently run Quicken Windows on my Mac via Parallels. If I upgrade my Mac to one with the new M1 chip, will Quicken via Parallels still work?

Comments

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is still in beta, see this: https://kb.parallels.com/en/125038

• Julie Bee
    Julie Bee Member
    Will Quicken for Windows work on Mac with M1 chip (with Windows 10 loaded using a virtual machine)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Julie Bee

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I believe the answer to this would depend on the virtual machine software that you are using to run Windows 10. Do you already have one in mind or would this be your first time running Windows on a Mac computer?

A few community members should be able to chime in on what they have found to work.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently Parallels latest version will run on Mac with M1 chip now.

https://www.parallels.com/
  • Julie Bee
    Julie Bee Member
    Thank you for the replies.

Dennis - yes I know Parallels is now configured to run on the M1 chip.

I know Quicken for Windows will work on a Mac with an Intel chip with Windows 10 loaded via Parallels. My question is will Quicken for Windows work with the same set up on a Mac with the new M1 chip.

Has anyone got it to work?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not being a Mac person I will be the first to admit I might have missed someone posting about this here, but what I have seen is a few people asking the same question with the answers basically saying that the Parallel's website (and CrossOver for that matter) says that they work on the M1 chip.

In other words, no one seems to want to be the "first", everyone is insisting on waiting for someone else to take the chance.  And there are people that have taken the chance and found it to work or not to work none of those people are willing to come back here and report on it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Julie Bee
    Julie Bee Member
    Thanks for the reply Chris. I think you are right about people not reporting back. I did find one person comment (can't remember which website/forum) that he loaded Quicken for Windows (using Parrellels on a M1 Mac) and he thought it was loading OK but then crashed right at the end and was unusable.

I too am reluctant to buy both Parallels and a licence for Windows 10 and then find out that Quicken won't work as this is the only program I want to use in Windows on a M1 Mac.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have asked the question a couple of times on the forum. One person said they were running with CrossOver (from Code Weaver) successfully but they weren't very informative. I have also asked about running with Parallels but no one has responded, I think part of the problem with Parallels is that it is running Windows 10 for ARM, not the normal version of Windows 10.

I guess I will make the jump and try when the new MacBook Pro's come out.
  • Julie Bee
    Julie Bee Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have been reading up on CrossOver this afternoon and that may be a possibility for me. The CodeWeavers (CrossOver) website does state that it works for Quicken on a M1 Mac. I may have to try their 14 free trial to test it out. Of course I have to order an iMac first now I think I have a way to use Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The one advantage Crossover has over Parallel/any virtual machine is that they are just translating the program's calls into native calls.  So they in theory most of what they had to do to change over to M1 was problem recompile their code for M1.  But the disadvantage is they most likely haven't simulated all possible calls and such could missing some, not to mention that since they don't have a real Windows their simulation of the folders/registry and such might not be perfect especially for things like the installs.

In other words changes in Quicken and its install that might not break Parallels might break Crossover.  But from what people have said on here the developers are pretty responsive to getting such problems fixed.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Julie Bee
    Julie Bee Member
    Thanks for your input. I'm using Quicken 2016 so I'm hoping I only have to install it once and after that there shouldn’t be any changes.

I guess I always have the option to use Quicken for Mac but I really didn't like it (as compared to the Windows version) when I tried it earlier this year on an Intel MacBook.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am considering purchasing a new M1 Mac and I run Quicken for Windows with Parallels. I am trying to find out if anyone has success running Quicken for Windows on the new M1 Mac's. The Parallels method uses Windows 10 for ARM.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Found a user on the Parallels M1 Mac forums who is running both Quicken & QuickBooks on the M1 Mac with Parallels.

https://forum.parallels.com/threads/m1-parallels-windows-arm-quickbooks-quicken-for-win10.353666/#post-886860

This discussion has been closed.