Line Graph of Accounts

Options
Chris Mead
Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
Hi Team!

Quicken is great but I'm looking to create a graph that I don't think exists. Maybe you can help?

I have 15 or 20 mutual funds in my retirement. They are in the Investing Group and subtitled as Retirement in my file. The mutuals change value daily, mostly through market fluctuation. What I want to do is to graph the accounts over time. Quicken does this in the screen as what we call a "mountain" chart - summing each that is selected. I can select one by one to see each mutual's progress - again on the screen.

What I want to do is to create a one graph where each line is represented as an account. I attached a sample as an example. I would prefer this to come right out of Quicken but if necessary, I wouldn't mind exporting the data and to create it in Excel. I suppose the esport would be rows and columns where each row is dated and the columns represent each account.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris
Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Chris Mead  Quicken Mac has very limited graphing, and what you see in the Portfolio view is all there is. You'll have to export the data you want and manipulate it in Excel/Numbers to create the graphs you're looking for. 

You may want to take a second to visit this Idea thread about adding charts to reports, add your vote (click the arrow in the yellow box under the first post), and add a post with your specific feature requests in a comment there. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs I'll vote but also, how do I export the data? I only want the investment value data.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Chris Mead  You'll have to do some experimenting so see what data will serve your needs. 

For overall investment value, you might do a Net Worth by Month report, and limit it to your investment accounts. This will give you the total value of your investments for each month of whatever time range you set. It will be broken down by account, which might be useful if you want to separate retirement and non-retirement funds, or otherwise look at value by account. Reports have an Export button in their menu bar.

For individual securities, there's no way I know of to export data over time. What I'd do based on your description is to do a series of exports to combine into one spreadsheet for charting. Once you build the spreadsheet, updating it every month or two will be pretty easy. Click on Investments in the left sidebar, and set your filters to Portfolio Value, Group by Security. Set the As Of date to whenever you want to start, such as 12/31/20. Click the Export icon on the far right of the menu bar. Open the file in Excel/Numbers and eliminate every column except the security names and the Market Value. Change the column heading to the date. Then in Quicken set the date forward a month and repeat. A slightly faster way, I found, was to use the Copy to Clipboard option rather than the CSV file option for each subsequent months; just click in the first row of the spreadsheet in a column to the right of the existing data, Paste, and delete the columns you don't need. (You just have to be careful aligning rows in months in which you have a new security, or got rid of a security.) It's a bit of a manual work, but I just tried this and I was able to get a spreadsheet of my holdings over each of the past 12 months in just a couple minutes. 

This points out the need for — even before fancy graphing options — robust investment reports. A Security Values over Time report would be a good one. I'd suggest adding your vote and optional comment on the Idea topic for Investment Performance Reports.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you @jacobs. Creating that report did it. Since my mutuals are separate, I can see them. On the other hand, I have investments at another firm, 3 of them, that are lumped together. But much better!
This discussion has been closed.