Duplicate accounts.

Options
When setting up an account for online access, I accidentally created a duplicate account. Can I delete the new account and then get access for the old account again and link it? Or should I take another track.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can delete the new duplicate account in Quicken.  Then set up your old account, again, (via Add Account or via Set up now on the Online Services tab of Account Details) and during the account set up process you should be given the opportunity to link it to your old account.
    If you want to you can also move transactions in the new account over to the old account before you delete the new account. It probably does not make sense to do this if this duplicate account is something that was added in only the last few weeks because all of those transactions will download into the old account when you set it up, again.  But if this duplicate account happened more than a few weeks ago then some transactions might not download into the old account when it is set up, again.  Moving the transactions between accounts is simple: Right click on the transaction(s) you want to move and then click on Move Transaction(s) and follow the prompts.
    I do suggest that before you do any of these things you first back up your data file so you can recover it quickly in case anything goes wrong.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can delete the new duplicate account in Quicken.  Then set up your old account, again, (via Add Account or via Set up now on the Online Services tab of Account Details) and during the account set up process you should be given the opportunity to link it to your old account.
    If you want to you can also move transactions in the new account over to the old account before you delete the new account. It probably does not make sense to do this if this duplicate account is something that was added in only the last few weeks because all of those transactions will download into the old account when you set it up, again.  But if this duplicate account happened more than a few weeks ago then some transactions might not download into the old account when it is set up, again.  Moving the transactions between accounts is simple: Right click on the transaction(s) you want to move and then click on Move Transaction(s) and follow the prompts.
    I do suggest that before you do any of these things you first back up your data file so you can recover it quickly in case anything goes wrong.

• Rodney Broach
    Rodney Broach Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the answer.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    You are welcome.