Unable to update Quicken, no longer able to download transactions

xpaddy01b
xpaddy01b Member ✭✭
I am currently running OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 on my MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008). As of October 2020, I am not able to download the latest version of Quicken because it does not support my setup. I am also unable to upgrade my systems to the next version. Because of financial restraints, I am not able to upgrade my system. I am using Quicken as mainly a check register, downloading transactions. I occasionally look at the reports showing where the money is going, and trying to create a budget. My question is if that's all I'm using Quick for, why can I not still connect to my bank just to download transactions? I get it: Quicken would like me to use the latest most greatest and up to datest version, but I can't make that happen, and I don't really see that happening in the next 6-12 months. So how can I connect to my bank just to be able to download transactions. Shouldn't that, at the very minimum, be the same regardless of what version one uses?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @xpaddy01b  I understand what you want to do, but it's simply not the way Quicken has structured its resources and services. The connectivity services is actually one of the most expensive parts of keeping Quicken running, and so they require people to pay for this service. Some people wish they would break apart costs and let users choose a la carte what services they do or don't want, but that's not the way they've structure their business model; there's a single annual subscription fee which encompasses all online services, as well as program enhancements and customer support.

In terms of software compatibility, you're between a rock and a hard place. Quicken has done a pretty good job over the years of maintaining support for older operating systems for several years, but they ran into too many problems last year trying to support operating systems which were 5+ years old, so they raised the minimum to High Sierra, which you can't install on your 13 year-old computer. Quicken Mac will continue to run on your older El Capitan system, but won't let you update beyond version 5.18.2. 

But… I would think that you could continue to download from your bank as long as you maintain a current subscription, even though you haven't (can't) update to the latest version of the software. You didn't indicate whether you currently have a paid subscription. If you do, is it not allowing downloads? It was my understanding that it should. Or do you not have a current subscription? If so, you could try paying for a subscription and seeing if it will allow you to download from your bank. (There's a 30-day refund available for subscription, so if you find it doesn't work, you could get your money back.) 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.