Found a corrupted transaction after upgrade to Mac OS 11.44

TW3SCBB
TW3SCBB Member
After OS upgrade, I find a manually entered transaction that I cannot delete. It tells me it is corrupted. So far, I have been able to enter other transactions. I need help to delete this transaction entry

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This is the first I have ever heard of a transaction reporting it is corrupted in Quicken Mac. It seems pretty unlikely that a macOS upgrade would be the source of the problem within the Quicken database.

What type of account is it in? What type of transaction is it (e.g. does it have splits, transfer, just or normal transaction)?

My first thought is to create a new account, transfer every transaction except this one to the new account, and then try to delete the old account with the one corrupted transaction remaining in it. But I don't know if Quicken will delete the account if it cannot delete the transaction. But it's an experiment that you could try in just a minute or two. Make a copy of your data file first! Then create the new account. Press Command-A to select all the transaction sin the account, then Command-click on the one which is corrupted to deselect it. Then click on any of the highlighted transactions and drag over to the new account in the left sidebar, and release. All the transactions except the one should move into the new account. Then Control-click on the old account in the sidebar, and Delete the account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TW3SCBB
    TW3SCBB Member
    Let me clarify some more. I was working in Quicken in Mac OS 11.3. While manually entering data the program suddenly dropped and my computer went into a restart loop. I would not open up again. I had the laptop serviced and Mac OS 14.4 was installed as part of that.

The entry is an expense in a category of 100s of entries. It may have been the transaction entry I was entering when the computer crashed on me before I took it in for service.

Anyhow, after the repair shop, when I opened Quicken, I found the entry and got a corrupted indicator in the “transfer” column when I tried to delete the transaction. I also found that Quicken ran a little quirky for a short while. I could not enter a new transaction. I could not change dates in a report. But then the program began operating in a normal mode. I have continued entering more data and have run several reports and Quicken seems to be working OK.

Later today, I tried again and I was able to delete the “corrupted” transaction. Go figure! I guess my problem is solved. Hopefully, time will attest to my Quicken's continued reliability.

Thank you.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    My first thought is if you have any doubts the integrity of your data file, it might be better to go back to a backup before the problem. Even though that would mean re-entering recent data, the peace of mind of not wondering if there's a problem lurking around the corner might be worth it.

Next, I'm wondering what you mean by "a corrupted indicator" in the Transfer column. Is it this:

That's not a "corruption indicator"; it is an indication that the other side of the Transfer no longer exists. Quicken handles this smoothly; it's like a memo of what had happened, but the transaction has no category and doesn't transfer money to another account. It certainly could have left a transaction in this state when the computer crashed during entry. (I created this by adding a dummy account, creating a transfer to that account, and then deleting the dummy account; thee other side of the transfer transaction remains, with a broken transfer indication.) If you got some other icon, I'd be interested to know what it was.

I have no explanation for you not being able to delete this transaction, and then suddenly you could. Modern SQL databases are generally able to prevent damage and self-repair, but this sounds a bit odd.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.