Cost Basis entered in Transaction View does not Match Cost Basis in Account Overview

Options
crwalejr
crwalejr Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken Premier for Windows. As seen in the attached file I have entered 3 investment transactions purchases for Enterprise Products (Security Detail View: EPD shown at bottom of attachment).  I have circled in red the cost basis for each of the security transactions in the Security Detail View.  When I go to the Investment Account with these transactions and select Holdings the Account Overview showing all of the holdings for the account pops up. When I drill down for the referenced security that I purchased (shown at the top of the attachment) the cost basis shown does not match the the Security Transaction that was recorded.  
I have over thirty security holdings in this account and this is the only one where this is occurring.  I have deleted the original transactions and reinputted them for this security but this did not correct anything.  I have run a supervalidation with no change.  Anyone have a suggestion as to how to correct this?

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I see one Return of Capital action in your history and I'm guessing that there could be others.  Returns of capital change your cost basis such that the original purchase price of the shares is no longer the current cost basis of the shares.  Go through and identify all returns of capital and subtract the sum of these from the original cost basis of the shares and the total should match your current Holdings figure.
  • crwalejr
    crwalejr Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Tom.  That was the issue!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I see one Return of Capital action in your history and I'm guessing that there could be others.  Returns of capital change your cost basis such that the original purchase price of the shares is no longer the current cost basis of the shares.  Go through and identify all returns of capital and subtract the sum of these from the original cost basis of the shares and the total should match your current Holdings figure.
  • crwalejr
    crwalejr Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Tom.  That was the issue!