Cash Flow Report

RMW
RMW Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I am unable to create a true cash flow report in Quicken, with either the Win or the Mac versions. I want to be able to see the actual amount of cash coming into an account and the cash that actually leaves the account. But all I see is basically the income/expense report with or without transfers, depending on the settings in the Advanced tab. A basic example is a pay check. I enter the gross amount and the miscl. deductions in the Split Transaction window. So I would expect the net cash coming into the account in the cash flow report and no cash going out for the deductions since they were already withheld at the source. But my cash flow report only shows me gross salary under income and deductions under expenses. Same as the Income/Expense report. So what is really the point of the so called Cash Flow report? Seems a very basic issue to me. Anyone has figured out a solution to this problem? I have browsed the community and found a lot of questions and answer related to Cash Flow Reports. But, so far, I have not seen anything that addresses my specific problem. I can do an accurate cash flow forecast when inputting future net pay check amounts, for example, but get no net amounts for past transactions (i.e. backward looking).
Thanks for any comments and possible solutions.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Would the Banking Transaction report with the Show splits option not selected do what you are looking for? You can select just one account or subtotal by account if you want, and you can show or not show the individual transactions by setting the Totals only option. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Great, that works! Thanks so much. I never looked at that report.
    Still begs the question why the Cash Flow Report doesn't do exactly that.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Would the Banking Transaction report with the Show splits option not selected do what you are looking for? You can select just one account or subtotal by account if you want, and you can show or not show the individual transactions by setting the Totals only option. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Great, that works! Thanks so much. I never looked at that report.
    Still begs the question why the Cash Flow Report doesn't do exactly that.
This discussion has been closed.