My payments and deposits are reversed. :

Raynay
Raynay Member
My payments are calculated as deposits and my deposits are subtracted as payments. I need a step by step answer to fix this problems. The answers that I have seen in discussions do not work for me.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of account?
    This is my standard answer for credit card accounts but it should work for other accounts too.

First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info…..

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    volvogirl said:
    First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.
    Actually, the norm in Quicken Mac is to have the most recent transactions at the top, but it allows you to do it whichever way you prefer by clicking n the Date heading to toggle between newest on top and newest on bottom. (I was used to newest on the bottom with more than two decades using the old Quicken 2007 for Mac, but when I switched to the current Quicken Mac, I changed my paint of view and now much prefer most recent transactions on top.)

I would first check to see if the account setup is for the correct type of account (e.g. checking if that's what this is).

Next: I would suggest at least temporarily switching from the single Amount column to two columns for Payment and Deposit. (You enable and disable columns by clicking on the Columns icon on the bottom toolbar.) With Payment and Deposit, all numbers are recorded as positive values, so you can't get tripped up by which transactions are positive or negative. 

Now, where are these transactions coming from? That is, are you downloading them, or entering them manually?

If you are entering transactions manually, now you can enter them in the proper column. If you are downloading, and they populate the wrong column, you may need to reach out to your bank if they are providing incorrectly signed amounts for download. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.