Cloud data Reset vs Delete difference?

Options
BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭
Is there any difference between deleting the cloud data vs. resetting it?  (Reset = Delete + recreate, right?)  A while back Delete was the recommended approach because there was a bug with Reset messing up the MPL & security list, which got fixed.  Any other issues?
Recently I helped a user clear up their corrupted cloud file by using the delete instructions and noticed that SuperUsers and Q team do the same, but if there is no difference in the "end result", Reset is much easier given that it does not require using another file to perform the delete.  My objective is to learn the detailed difference behind the two and better help others instead of using the auto pilot approach.  Which would you recommend, when and why? TIA.
- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There should be no difference if you're going to be opening the same Quicken file.  If you're going to be opening a different Quicken file with the same internal file identifier (for example, a Quicken backup file), I still suggest deleting the Cloud data until Quicken appropriately resets the Cloud data.

According to the Quicken Help documentation, resetting the Cloud data deletes:
    • Accounts you selected for sync before resetting your cloud data.
    • Transaction history that belong to these accounts and have dates not earlier than 2 years from your cloud registration time.
    • Cloud attachments that you uploaded before resetting your cloud data.
    • Budgets you were syncing before resetting your cloud data.
    • Renaming rules, categories, tags, alert settings that you were using before resetting your cloud data.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There should be no difference if you're going to be opening the same Quicken file.  If you're going to be opening a different Quicken file with the same internal file identifier (for example, a Quicken backup file), I still suggest deleting the Cloud data until Quicken appropriately resets the Cloud data.

According to the Quicken Help documentation, resetting the Cloud data deletes:
    • Accounts you selected for sync before resetting your cloud data.
    • Transaction history that belong to these accounts and have dates not earlier than 2 years from your cloud registration time.
    • Cloud attachments that you uploaded before resetting your cloud data.
    • Budgets you were syncing before resetting your cloud data.
    • Renaming rules, categories, tags, alert settings that you were using before resetting your cloud data.

This discussion has been closed.