Quicken 2021 Spending Accounts balance wrong

mcmattaustx
mcmattaustx Member ✭✭
On the Home screen, under "Stay on Top of Monthly Bills", the "What's Left" balance is way off. The report is off by over $100,000. That's quite impossible. It seems "Spending Accounts" has the wrong balance. When I switch to different accounts on that report, they are correct, but when I go back to my main checking, it is incorrect again. I have Super-validated multiple times, but that balance is still incorrect. Is there a way to find out what is contributing to that calculation? :/

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    From the "Stay on Top" view, have you clicked on "See Projected Balances"?
    This gives you a graph view of all Spending accounts, together with a list of account names considered Spending accounts.
    Is there an account in this list that shouldn't be? A test account, perhaps? Or an incorrectly classified Asset account?
    BTW, Validate and Supervalidate are not magic cure-all medicines that can fix whatever ails your data file. Both routines can only look for error conditions that are known and that they have been programmed to try to fix. Neither are perfect.
  • mcmattaustx
    mcmattaustx Member ✭✭
    Yes I have clicked on that and I have selected my main checking account and other accounts. My main checking is the one with the incorrect balance. Other accounts show projected balances correctly. I can't find any way to see what is contributing to that huge negative balance.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have clicked on that and I have selected my main checking account and other accounts. My main checking is the one with the incorrect balance. Other accounts show projected balances correctly. I can't find any way to see what is contributing to that huge negative balance.
    And why is your main checking account's balance incorrect?
    Does it reconcile to the monthly bank statement's Ending Balance?
    Have you prerecorded a year's worth of incoming future paycheck or bill transactions?

• mcmattaustx
    mcmattaustx Member ✭✭
    My main balance is correct. I reconcile every day. The Projected Balances is wrong for no discernable reason. That is why it is an error that I'm reporting. I need to know how the projected balance is calculated so I can find transactions that may be in error. I have seen mention of bill reminders being included and overdue bills being included. I need to know how to get to the source of that calculation so I can find the error.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• The phone number can be found at the support website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• mcmattaustx
    mcmattaustx Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestion. I think I figured it out. I don't use the online biller and bill payment system that was introduced a couple of years ago. I had all of my billers entered though. Short answer to solve this problem is Remove Billers that you are not paying with the online bill payment system. Thanks for the help and answers.
This discussion has been closed.